18 November 2012

The primary program--in more words than you want to read.

Let's talk about our favorite part about the Primary Program.  Mine is always hearing the kid that is too loud, or completely off-key, or doesn't know any of the words but refuses to let that stop him from singing as loudly as possible.  Imagine my excitement knowing that my Peter is that child.

He loves singing the primary songs and always wants to sing them for FHE.  He knows most of the words (sure he mixes them around sometimes and adds a few here and there) and is extremely loud, fast, boisterous, and I LOVE it.  Nephi's courage is an especially good one (ask him to see the hand-motions).   We have been talking about the program for weeks.  He memorized his two lines "I can choose the right by obeying my parents and teachers." and "I can choose the right by helping others."  He would sit at the kitchen table reciting them with his eyes closed, as if it was a terriffic feat.  He was READY!

Today was the day.  Adrian teaches in primary so he was on the stand with the rest of the primary kids.  I was in the pew with Claire and Adam in a perfect spot to see both boys.  Then it began.  And Adam started fussing. A lot.  So we went to the back and I tried to keep him happy.  The first song: Nephi's Courage!  Oh Peter did such a great job! He was loud! He was smiling! A woman gave me a wink and said "I love Peter's singing!" I was beaming.  Then as soon as the second song started, his teacher leaned over and whispered for him to sing quieter.  Bless her heart, she was trying to help, but imagine a deflating balloon. Peter got his feelings hurt and refused to sing, for the rest. of. the. meeting!  Instead he scowled and made a grouchy face every time it was time to sing.

Adam was still fussy so I had to take him out and when I knew a song was coming, I cracked open the door to the chapel, stood where only the kids could see me, locked eyes with  Peter and tried to persuade him to sing.  And he refused. Every. Time.

Then it was time for his lines!  He got up to the podium and his teacher leaned down to "feed" him his lines.  Bad idea.  He stuck his hand out, turned his face away, and generally made a scene because he didn't want help.  After a minute, she said his lines in the mic and he crouched down plugging his ears because he was upset that she did it. 

Then I started crying.  I was kind of a blubbering mess, so it was good I was still mostly in the foyer.  He is such a stubborn little one, but it seriously broke my heart that he had worked SO hard and didn't even get to do what he was so excited about.  I don't blame his teacher, at all, she seriously was only trying to help.  He just needs to learn that getting help is OKAY.  That is not an easy thing for him. 

And to give Clark some credit, he sang beautifully and did a fabulous job with his lines.  They changed his lines while he was up there (gave his second line to another child to read and he was given another one to read) but took it all in stride and gave me big smiles throughout.  He is so easy going and I sure am grateful for him.

Can't wait for next year!

6 comments:

  1. That's too bad! It's hard sometimes for adults to remember to give kids a chance to do things on their own. I'm in our primary presidency, and we recently had our program too. The president thought the scripture the 5 year olds were reciting was too long for them to remember it all, so they shortened it to a phrase. But then we found out that some of the kids had already memorized the whole scripture, so we didn't want all their work to go to waste, and had them recite the whole thing. Overall it went well, but there were some kids that spoke so softly you couldn't hear a word they said, or some who rushed through their part too fast. And of course there was the kid singing way louder than everyone else, and it just made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most everyone understands that its not so much about what the adults see and hear and learn, but what the children learn from the experience. So its too bad that someone was trying to make it better for the audience, when it doesn't really matter if its not perfect. I would have cried too, I know it. PS I know that child will be Olivia, already she screams if I try to help with anything she thinks she can do alone. Its exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry he had a hard time. But I hope he can regain his confidence and it only bothered him for that time (even tho it was sad and hard to watch). My Ashtyn is like that and doesn't want any help.. even with cleaning up the toys. ugh. it is hard but now she is really good at cleaning the loft on her own (if she is going to scream at her sister when she is only helping then she gets no help) I digress.
    I would have been crying too. I am married to "that kid" so Ryan loves it to see his kids sing loud and know and love the songs :-) I am glad he was so prepared. Good job mom and Peter.. and Clark :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad story! I would have cried too. I hate it when "helping" isn't at all helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jodie! This sounds all too familiar! I would have cried too from the foyer! Poor Peter! He tries so hard! You'd think his teacher would have known him a little better, as to not have burst his bubble. He sounds so tender hearted! Thanks for sharing your sweet story. At least you didn't have Claire running up the aisle trying to get on stage to sing with her brothers. That is what my Claire did, and I spent the hour in the foyer with a crying two year old because she didn't get to "perform too." Luckily we got her calmed down:)

    ReplyDelete