Clark: Mom, how does the baby come OUT of your belly?
Me: Well, (pause) there's a special place on a mom's body where babies come out of. It's kind of near my bottom.
Clark: you mean right here (touches my butt)
Me: not exactly.
Clark: then where? Show me!
Me: um...
Clark: SHOW ME!
Me: I'm not going to show you right now. It's a private part of my body that you don't need to see.
Clark: But what is it?
Me: It's a hole that gets bigger when the baby comes out. Kind of like when you poop, it comes out of a hole.
Clark: except a baby comes out not poop, right?
Me: right. Is that enough questions?
Clark: okay.
I hope it was sufficient enough for him to be satisfied and not go around talking about it to his kindergarten friends...I'm not exactly sure if I handled it the best, but there are things that I am just not ready for a 5-year-old to know about. And like a friend of mine mentioned to me, I'm just glad it was the "how does the baby come out" question and not the "how does the baby get IN" question. That one will be a little harder for me to answer so vaguely. And that is DEFINITELY not something I'm ready to tell a 5-year-old. Sheesh...
Ha, that's hilarious. Better than my mom- even when I was that age, I got the full medical explanation, technical anatomy terms and all. Ewww.
ReplyDeleteOh dear! That is a tough one!! When I was very pregnant with Olivia, I was eating my lunch at work near the preschool. A preschooler came and asked me for a piece of my string cheese, and I told him "no, I need it to feed the baby in my tummy." His eyes got very big and he asked, "How did it get in there????" Ummmmm. . . thankfully his mom was right there to take over. But I wish I would have said, "That's what happened to the last kid who asked for some string cheese!"
ReplyDelete