So instead of throwing my mouse through the computer screen, I'm going to complain over the blogosphere instead.
I am NOT computer savvy, at all. I can spend 4 thousand years trying to do something (like, say, make a header) and in the end it still doesn't come out right (which is precisely why I want to chuck the mouse at something). I have tried a hand full of times to create a header. But for some reason I can never get it to work, which is why I haven't had one for a very long time. I want it simple. I want no bells or whistles. So why can't I do it? In photoshop, this particular header looks fine. On my blog it looks completely grainy. I even set the image size to (what I think is) the correct size for the blog. So, can you tell me why it's awful (other than the lame font)?
Come on, I know there are many of you who do this kind of thing on a regular basis. Can I get some pointers, please?
*Deep breath*
Thank you.
i actually really love the aged look to it. i thought it was intentional and didn't notice that it was grainy. but maybe try saving it as a pgi instead of jpg? like maybe the picture is too much info. for the blog to handle? lower the dpi? seems counter-intuitive. i dunno, i just figured out how to make headers at all, just an idea. good luck.
ReplyDeleteI make my headers at picnik.com with no issues.
ReplyDeleteCrop it to the web size you want, And then choose "save for web" you should be able to see a preview of what it will look like. If the colors are off, you might be the wrong workspace, like CMYK (for print) rather than RGB. I don't really know why it's grainy, but blogger does do all kinds of wonky things to images. Do you have a Mac? I always use screen grabs for blogging because they create png files. They translate much better than jpegs through blogger. You also might have to host your image elsewhere, like through photobucket, etc., and then embed the file, or whatever. Feel free to email me if you have questions! Lesley at kensingtonblue dot com
ReplyDeleteWow! You ladies know a lot! In fact, I think I'm going to have to look up what "pgi" or "dpi" are. And how to embed something. I'm glad I asked, thanks for the help! Wish me luck as I continue playing around with it...
ReplyDelete@Lesley Lesley, that helped a TON! In Photoshop I did the "save for web" and changed it to a PNG file and it fixed the graininess. (The colors are supposed that way--"vintage" or something like that). It's not perfect, but it's a start. Thanks a lot!
ReplyDeleteImages usually look grainy if they don't have enough DPI. The save for web and devices is always the way to go if you're posting online. :)
ReplyDeleteI can't help you because I'm even more computer illiterate than you, but I think the header looks great!
ReplyDeletehmm I was going to say just throw that mouse through the screen to see if it helps. But it sounds like other's have some slightly better advice. If all else fails I'd throw the mouse. :D Good Luck.
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly why I have Jamie (YOUR SISTER) make all my headers (except for my current one). If you are still at a loss after all these suggestions, just contact her and she'll have it up and running in no time. I put all my faith in that computer/photoshop savvy chica. And you tell her I said that:)
ReplyDeletePNG, that's what I meant, not pgi. I only recently discovered this file type. It seems to be MUCH easier transitioned from mac to blogger. glad you figured out.
ReplyDelete