Background information: Clark is kind of a scaredy-cat when it comes to watching movies or shows. He refuses to watch "scary" movies, which includes just about every Disney movie plus pretty much any movie with a villain (for about a year he would only watch Baby Einstein movies or Clifford the Big Red Dog). If a "scary" movie is on, he hides in the other room and peeks in every now and again.
More background: A few weeks ago our stake had a Relief Society service project that (to make a long story short) they gave out free Simplicity patterns and I came home with about 15 or so, including patterns to make costumes from The Wizard of Oz. I thought it would be awesome to have me dress as the witch, Clark as the tin man, Peter as the lion, Adrian as the scarecrow, and Claire as Dorothy (of course).
Last week I wanted to bring up the idea of being these for Halloween so I could start sewing. I knew my kids had no idea who they were so for Labor Day we watched The Wizard of Oz as a family. Peter loved and watched the entire thing. Clark was in-and-out but I was really surprised at how much of it he actually watched (including some "scary" parts).
Fast-forward to the next day where we were laying on my bed talking about Halloween and I brought out the patterns to show them and proceeded to give the "wouldn't this be awesome" speech. Peter was excited but Clark wasn't convinced.
Clark: "No, I don't think that's a great idea"
Me: "Well, which one do you want to be? You can be the scarecrow if you want"
Clark: "No, that's not a good idea either"
Me: "Well, which do you want to be?"
Clark: (pause) "I want to be the scary flying monkey!"
The SCARY FLYING MONKEY? Seriously?? I could have peed my pants from laughter. Maybe we'll have to re-think the The Wizard of Oz idea...
No freaking way?! I remember putting on Beauty and the Beast for them and 2 seconds into it, Clark was like "Can we watch a different movie? This one is scary." I'm shocked! That's awesome. I think you should totally let him do it!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to break the news to Cami, though. She was convinced that Peter was going to be Goofy and Clark was going to be Pluto and Claire was going to be Clarabelle Cow in her "mickey mouse clubhouse" Halloween plan.
I couple of years ago Ryan and I dressed as Dorthy and the scarecrow for Halloween. Atleast you have a pattern for Dorthy. I had to figure of my own grown up version. We are making costumes this year too... At least you don't have to make 2 princess costumes. GIRLS!
ReplyDeleteand good for Clark, my sister to this day won't watch the Wizard of OZ because it scares her. Let him be a monkey :-)
That is so funny, Kaylee is talking about Halloween now and she keeps telling me she wants to be a witch. Little Mackenzie is going to be a lady bug
ReplyDeleteLOL I seriously can't stop laughing! 1. I can't believe he wants to be a scary flying monkey! Those things still freak me out!! 2. I cannot even begin to imagine how to go about making a scary flying monkey costume! Good luck to ya! LOL
ReplyDelete