22 September 2011

More kindergarten stuff

I had been debating whether sending Clark to kindergarten this year was a good thing or if I needed to start him next year or home school him this year. Academically I obviously wasn't worried about but the "everything else" part I was. My mom had made me a little bit nervous to start him too soon but just in the first two weeks of school my fears were put to rest. I know we made the right choice and I'm glad he loves it SO much.

I am also glad to see glimpses of kindergarten from his perspective. I had been worried about how socially aware he is (isn't) because he seems lost in his own world so often. But after mentioning that he wanted me to drop him off at the curb instead of walking him in and how he wanted to carry his lunchbox instead of me putting it into his backpack because that's how the other kids did it I was no longer worried. He's definitely aware of what others are doing and wants to be like them. I can't say that I'm upset about it. In fact, it's really exciting to me (ask me in 10 years and I might not be so excited).

Also, he told me on the 3rd day of school that I had apparently forgotten to go on the first day of school to eat lunch with him and that I should go that day. So we did, of course, and had a great time and now have lunch with him once a week. It's my favorite day of the week.

I love hearing him talk about the things he loves (the playground) and the things he doesn't like (the noisy cafeteria). I love that as soon as he comes home he asks what his homework is and sits down to do it. I love this kid and I am really glad that he's loving kindergarten and that I can see him flourishing. He loves the schedules and rules and I love that I can see his growth already. Hooray for kindergarten!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that! I was apprehensive for other reasons as well, but I have quickly felt like kindergarten does more than we think! I'm glad that he feels like he can do it and I'm glad that YOU feel like you can handle it. I love that you get to go to lunch with him. How fun! Maybe I'll try that next week too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such an awesome kid. Seriously...

    ReplyDelete