04 February 2011

A forgotten update

Oh yeah, I forgot to update you on Clark's surgery. Sorry about that.

The short: He had it. Almost a month ago. He no longer snores. He no longer wakes up a bunch in the night. He's hearing things. He's doing fabulously.

The long: He had the surgery on the 11th of Jan. I was surprised how amazing he was during his recovery. For a while he wouldn't take the pain medicine because he didn't like the taste, but as long as I mixed it with a little juice or something, he took it without a fight. And he was eating and drinking without any problem, even in the hospital. The worst times for him was in the middle of the night when the medicine had worn off and he was in a bit of pain. But other than that, I was amazed at how happy and semi-normal he acted. After a week he no longer needed any medicine and by 2 weeks he was back to his 100%.

One thing, though, was that for those 2 weeks, he had the most ANNOYING voice. Describing it won't do it justice. I think it hurt him to use his throat, so he'd talk through his nose. His voice was high pitched, airy, and could really grate on my nerves. :) Adrian and I would often look at each other and give a look like "this has GOT to change!" Luckily his voice now is much like his "normal" voice...though I guess it is his normal now. It's a little higher than before, but nothing like during recovery. I tried to take about 100 videos of him talking with his annoying voice, but he never would cooperate. This is the best I got and it's of him making up some song. And it doesn't sound as awful as it had (though you can kind of tell that he's not using his throat that much). :)



He got ear tubes as well, and they are doing what they're supposed to. He often asks me "what's that sound?" or "Is that the dishwasher?" and he still has to cover his ears sometimes when sounds are too loud. Some noises he HATES now are: Peter's screams, the blender, the toilet flushing (he flushes and runs out of the bathroom really fast, or just leaves it unflushed), the space heater in his room, the white noise machine in my room (he came in a few times from his room in the middle of the night to turn it off--and it's not that loud!), and a few more. We find it especially hilarious when, in the middle of the night, he has to cover his ears when he goes to the bathroom because it's too loud. I suspect that over time it will all become normal but as of now it's kind of funny to see him covering his ears all of the time.

Another thing I find hilariously annoying is now that he can hear so well, he listens to EVERYTHING. I can be in one room and he in another and no matter who I'm talking to or what it's about he has to butt into the conversation from the other room. I can be talking to Peter about washing his hands and Clark has to yell "Are you telling Peter to wash his hands? Is he washing his hands? Peter, wash your hands!" Every. Time. *sigh* It's actually rather funny. And annoying. But at least we know his surgeries were successful!

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty crazy how sensitive he is to sound now. I mean, it makes sense, but I would never have thought about that as being a big deal. Crazy. It makes me think of some of the movies I've seen about people who have been blind for a really long time having a hard time adjusting to corrective eye surgery and stuff. Kinda the same idea, I guess. Yay for Clark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing what a difference it is making for him. Yay for modern medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy I'm laughing. How WONDERFUL that he can now hear SO well! That's really telling that even a toilet flush is scarily noisy now. WOW. Hooray!!

    ReplyDelete