You're saying it was written wrong on the label, aren't you? Did you call the "Comments welcome" number? I always to that whenever I have any feedback (and they almost always send me some vouchers as a thanks).
Um, I'm confused. The original package recipe called for 1/3 of a cube per cup of water to make broth (1 cube = 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspooons). But your drawn-on instructions now call for a whole cube, which is triple the package recipe and probably too salty indeed. I think the original instructions were the right ones.
Well, Peter, that would make sense, if it said anywhere on the package to use 1/3 a cube per cup of water. But it doesn't say that anywhere (in English, at least). On every other container of cubed bouillon I've ever used it has been a 1 cube to 1 cup water ratio. I then assumed that this was the same way (1 cube per 1 cup). Then from the picture I saw 1 Tbs = 1 cube, so I put 1 Tbsp for 1 cup of water, making it 3x too salty.
So, where does it ever say 1/3 cube for 1 cup of water??? I've never seen that anywhere.
Is this a package of cubes or powder? If it's powder, then I think the package is right. If you want to make a cup of chicken broth, then use 1 teaspoon of powder and 1 cup water. But if you're using the powder in a recipe that calls for cubes, then substitute 1 tablespoon to equal 1 cube. 2 separate instructions. I think bouillon cubes are a lot denser and more concentrated than the powder is. But the directions are a bit confusing at first glance!
This is a container of powder. And I think the written instructions are correct, but not the picture. I think they meant to write that 1 tsp. powder = 1 cube.
The recipe I used called for 3 cubes and 3 cups of water. So, I looked at the picture (not the written instructions) and used 3 Tbsp. powder to 3 cups of water (wouldn't you have?) That was my big mistake since according to the written instructions I should have only used 3 tsp. of powder--not the 3 Tbsp. (which consequently made my broth SUPER salty). I made the same recipe another time using only 3 tsp. and it was perfect.
This makes me believe that 1 tsp. of powder is equal to 1 cube, end of story. And I still think I'm right. :)
I am so glad I'm not the only one who does stuff like that.
ReplyDeleteYou're saying it was written wrong on the label, aren't you? Did you call the "Comments welcome" number? I always to that whenever I have any feedback (and they almost always send me some vouchers as a thanks).
ReplyDeleteYeah, Jamie, the label is wrong. I'm totally going to call...good idea!
ReplyDeleteUm, I'm confused. The original package recipe called for 1/3 of a cube per cup of water to make broth (1 cube = 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspooons). But your drawn-on instructions now call for a whole cube, which is triple the package recipe and probably too salty indeed. I think the original instructions were the right ones.
ReplyDeleteWell, Peter, that would make sense, if it said anywhere on the package to use 1/3 a cube per cup of water. But it doesn't say that anywhere (in English, at least). On every other container of cubed bouillon I've ever used it has been a 1 cube to 1 cup water ratio. I then assumed that this was the same way (1 cube per 1 cup). Then from the picture I saw 1 Tbs = 1 cube, so I put 1 Tbsp for 1 cup of water, making it 3x too salty.
ReplyDeleteSo, where does it ever say 1/3 cube for 1 cup of water??? I've never seen that anywhere.
Is this a package of cubes or powder? If it's powder, then I think the package is right. If you want to make a cup of chicken broth, then use 1 teaspoon of powder and 1 cup water. But if you're using the powder in a recipe that calls for cubes, then substitute 1 tablespoon to equal 1 cube. 2 separate instructions. I think bouillon cubes are a lot denser and more concentrated than the powder is. But the directions are a bit confusing at first glance!
ReplyDeleteThis is a container of powder. And I think the written instructions are correct, but not the picture. I think they meant to write that 1 tsp. powder = 1 cube.
ReplyDeleteThe recipe I used called for 3 cubes and 3 cups of water. So, I looked at the picture (not the written instructions) and used 3 Tbsp. powder to 3 cups of water (wouldn't you have?) That was my big mistake since according to the written instructions I should have only used 3 tsp. of powder--not the 3 Tbsp. (which consequently made my broth SUPER salty). I made the same recipe another time using only 3 tsp. and it was perfect.
This makes me believe that 1 tsp. of powder is equal to 1 cube, end of story. And I still think I'm right. :)
I had that same problem!
ReplyDelete