With that being said, today is day 2 of her home injections. Yesterday a nurse came out and taught me everything I need to know. She gave me a month's supply of syringes, needles, and medicine and enough alcohol swabs and sterile gloves to last me the rest of my life. I practiced giving a shot to an orange. I gave a shot to my daughter and hated every second of it.
Today, I was on my own. While she slept I prepped the syringe, swabbed her leg, and poked her. It was hard enough to scare her but not hard enough to break the skin and I chickened out. Then I was shaking for the next half-hour until Adrian was available to help. So what did I do? I taught Adrian everything I know. He is wonderful and offered to do the hard stuff. I held her, he poked her, and then I loved on her for a long time. *sigh* I've been told it gets easier the more you do it.
The side-effects of the medicine are minimal: The liquid itself is a bright pink which makes her urine a pinkish-orange color...(and makes it smell kind of metallic-y). It also seems to give her a lot more energy and makes it hard for her to relax and calm down. So my usually sleepy baby has turned into a awake, fussy, and want to be held baby after her shot. But as side-effects go, that's pretty manageable. Now we're just praying for her body to respond positively to these injections so all can be well again.
I love Adrian.
ReplyDeleteAnd didn't you suck those same 2 fingers when you were a baby?
Thank you for the explanation! You answered all my questions. She definitley looks like a thriving happy little baby. I love that picture and that Gerber Baby mohawk. You've got yourself a darling little babe. I will pray that her body will react well to the shots.
ReplyDeleteYou are strong. I teared up a little at the end of your post. I am sorry you have to have this trial.
ReplyDeleteAdrian is a hero! Thanks for the update! My eyes leaked.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you have to do that. Way to go Adrian for stepping up. :) I hope it gets easier and I hope it takes care of the problem. How frustrating to have to stick a baby who seems so perfect and healthy.
ReplyDeletethanks for the comment on my blog -- the pattern is "claire" -- you should try it out for your little one!
ReplyDeletei am glad your hubby can give claire the injections ... poor baby!
If it's any consolation, my mom gave me tons of shots (for allergies) when I was little and I still love her.
ReplyDelete