05 May 2010

stretching the truth...just a little

Today I found myself "stretching the truth" twice within a 5 minute period. First was when my boys were playing at a playplace and a man asked me if they both belonged to me. After telling him yes he went off about how young I looked and there was no way someone as young as I am could have 2 kids! (Which, since I was sitting at a table, he obviously didn't notice the protruding belly that says "I'm due to pop like any day now with a third child"). So I fibbed a little and told him I am 27, which is not too young to have 2 young children. It wasn't a huge lie since I will be 27 in October, and it helped because he agreed that is wasn't too young and went on his way. :)

Then a few minutes later, talking to another woman, she said "Girl, you are enormous! Are you having twins??!" (here comes fib #2) "Nope. But I'm due in 2 weeks". It wasn't too big of a lie, since I only upped it a week and technically could have this baby then. Truthfully, I hoped it would pacify her as well and she'd say something like, "well yeah I guess that's about right" but instead she kept going "She is going to be one BIG BABY" and "Girl, I can't believe how big you look!" Excellent. I'm not exactly sure what she expected me to say so I smiled politely and pretended my boys needed some assistance.

So much for stretching the truth...

10 comments:

  1. Ugh, people can be dumb. No harm in stretching the truth when people give no options for a graceful telling of the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just had a baby and living outside the state of UT, I got comments just like those ALL THE TIME here in Mississippi. The person that asked if I was having twins, I just about SLUGGED. I mean really, havne't they ever seen a pregnant lady before?

    And I can't even begin to tell you how many STARES I got on a regular basis when I would tote my two toddlers around town with my big belly as well. Most couldn't believe I was about to have a third and would make some snide comment about how "irresponsible" some people are. You take it so well Jodie! I really let some of those people get under my skin. Good luck in the next few weeks! You are amazing! I can't wait for your sweet baby Claire to get here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told someone I was 27 as well, because they said that there was no way I had been teaching 3 years. I was 3 months away from turning 27, it just sounds better than 26.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach a pre-natal water aerobics class and it always seems like the girls that have the cutest little basketball bellies were always the ones getting the huge comments. Don't know what is worse, not getting any comments, or getting ones that hurt feelings. Just know you are beautiful and definitely not huge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wait. Soon all you will EVER hear is, "You've got your hands full, don't you?" It's getting very, very old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to Jenny's comment - I can't tell you how often I now hear "you sure have your hands full!" I think often people just want to talk and don't know what else to say so sometimes they say things that tend to irk you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite is when people tell me I've got my hands full when I'm out with only Carson and Baylee. I want to roll my eyes and tell them this isn't even half of my kids.

    I think you handled everything great. I've 'stretched the truth' many many times. I was a pretty young mom and it seemed so many people just couldn't accept that. It was much easier to just add a few years to my age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You weren't completely fibbing with the age, you are in your 27th year. And due dates are just a guess anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why are people so weird? I mean, really, it's totally taboo to tell a complete stranger something we all know is true; like, you should stop smoking. It's gonna kill you; yet it's totally fine for them to pass judgment on the timing and composition of my family? Ya know, if my kids all looked like I abused them on a regular basis, or was incapable of caring for them, I get that. But if I'm just a person being a person, what is the deal!? Oi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel no duty to tell the truth to crazy people. If they're going to be weird or ask strange questions, they don't deserve the truth. I love telling semi-tall tales to the crazies I meet on the bus.

    ReplyDelete