26 April 2010

He does math.


Look, I know you all think I like to sit here and brag about how smart my child is (which he is) but in all truthfulness, it is rather daunting how incredibly thirsty he is to learn, and how quickly he picks up things. With his reading, writing, and now math skills I am having a really hard time figuring out how to challenge him and keep him occupied. Every day now he asks me to do "math pages" but even those only last a few minutes until he completes them and is asking for more. *sigh* Truthfully I'm afraid for him to go to Kindergarten. I just know the teacher will tell me he has behavioral issues because he won't sit still...but I'll know the real reason: boredom. I wonder how seriously I need to consider home-schooling.

6 comments:

  1. I'm amazed. Lynzy is working on letters but not math! I think you might be right about him being bored in Kindergarten. Good luck with the homeschooling decision. My kids learn much better from others. *sigh* I'm trying not to take it personal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...Jodie...yeah...wow...um...I can see your dilemma. That is a dilemma. You've got a little while yet. When you get to that. From looking at the math that he's doing...you may have a bit of a unique kid there. Your challenge will be in teaching him to think of other kids as brainy even if they can't yet do what he can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought of skipping kindergarten? As a kindergarten teacher, we RARELY skip a kid to first grade, even if they're academically ready for it (because even if they're academically ahead, their social skills are lacking-they're just too immature), but if his behavior is stellar also and he is socially advanced, I would go for it.
    Also, I get high kids every year (multiple children) and I've never had a problem with someone being bored. You just plan extra things for students like that. Each child is on their own reading level also. I have reading groups and even though they're in a group with other kids, they each get their own book at their level. If he has a good teacher, he won't be bored. And chances are if someone has decided to teach kindergarten, they're a good teacher! Only someone crazy would go into teaching (let alone teaching 5 year olds!) for any other reason than because they love it-cause it sure doesn't pay the bills! Granted, I'm sure there are cranky old teachers out there who are just waiting to retire, but I'll bet you can spot them.
    Do they offer half-day kindergarten there? That would also be a good option for you. It's a short enough time that he would be less likely to get bored, but long enough to get the socialization. I hope that helps. Check with your school district about skipping him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tierra--I'm afraid of skipping him for the very reason you said, I think he is academically advanced but I still think he needs improvement in the social skills area. I'm glad you made that comment, though, about you not having a problem with bored kids. That makes me feel better...as long as I can find a teacher who is willing to plan those extra things.

    And no, unfortunately, there is no half-day kindergarten here, though I really wish there was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 2 gifted kids in school now and I agree--it all depends on the teacher. Pray for a good one! Also, I just got to look through a book called "Family Math" by Jean Kerr Stenmark, etc. that had some really great ideas for all areas of math--not just adding numerals. Estimating, measuring, number sense... and mostly in very fun ways, games, etc. I borrowed it from my son's kindy teacher to get some advanced homework ideas and I was really impressed. It would be a great resource and last through elem. school years. Also, what about having themed units at home? You could do ABC weeks or study different animals...check out library books and videos, make his own books with pictures and words, etc. I'm sure you already do all kinds of fabulous stuff, and with a baby on the way you need him to learn to entertain himself for short times! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course he does. :) Clark is amazing, and often enough, amazing kids find all kinds of things interesting, so Kindergarten may not be a problem, especially if he has a great teacher. And, really, even if you end up choosing to home school, since he is so advanced, you really could just wing it for awhile until you settled into system you like. Nothing lost. No stress required. Just wait and see how things fly.

    I have a niece and a friend's child who fall into this category as well, and I agree with Miss Snow, what can be the real challenge is helping him to socialize well with his peers, recognizing their talents, skills and intelligence-- even if addition is a new concept for them and they are still learning to master the sounds all the letters make!

    ReplyDelete