30 May 2010

And the story goes...

This will be long, but I like to write details right away so I don't forget anything (and because I don't know how to write a condensed version of anything). :) And it gets a little gory near the end so either don't read it and skip to the picture at the end, or know I warned you.

I woke up around 2:30 a.m. and was starving. I went downstairs to eat and ended up playing around on facebook for a bit. By 3:30 I went back to bed and it was then that I started noticing that I was having contractions. They weren't at all consistent, but I knew they were more than the pre-labor contractions I had been having for a while. I tried to sleep, but to no avail.

4:30: Still having completely irregular contractions. Adrian stirred and I woke him up to tell I thought we were having a baby today, but that I wanted him to get a little more sleep since I'd really be needing him later. He said "okay" and promptly rolled over and went back to sleep.

5:15: I got up to go to the bathroom and my water broke (the first time its ever done it on its own). So I woke up Adrian for real and he gave me a blessing. We had planned another home birth so at this point we called our midwives and started getting the house prepped (plastic sheets down, the birth kit and supplies ready, etc).

6:00: Midwives arrived and started their prep work. We called our friend who was going to watch our boys, but couldn't get a hold of anybody. Eventually we got a hold of another friend who came and took the boys at 6:30 (we basically woke up the boys and loaded them into their van).

6:30: Boys gone, contractions picked up. I walked around a lot but eventually found that the best position for me was kneeling on my living room floor hunched over the couch. I labored there the rest of the time.

8:00: needed to push.

8:06 Claire was born!

Here's where things got a little interesting, and my sense of time went completely out the window.

Immediately after she was born, one midwife took her and laid her underneath me (I was still hunched over my couch). I could tell there was something not quite right by the was the midwife was working with her to get her to start breathing. Apparently Claire's cord was wrapped around her neck so tightly that it cut off her oxygen for a bit. So I started talking to her "Claire, you've got to breathe. You HAVE to start breathing." etc. Then as that was happening I heard another midwife say, "Jodie you have to stop bleeding. You're bleeding too much. Tell yourself to stop bleeding!" I looked down and basically saw gushing blood...not very comforting, let me tell you. So now I am just talking up a storm "Claire, breathe! Jodie, stop bleeding!" etc. I'd say it was an intense couple of minutes.

When Claire finally started breathing she was handed off to Adrian. The midwives took me, laid me on the floor, propped up my feet, and proceeded to try to stop the bleeding. It wasn't stopping. Then I blacked out for a minute. After a few more minutes of trying, the midwife said to Adrian and I that if she could get the bleeding to stop in the next ten minutes, like she anticipated she would, that everything would be fine but that she'd feel better about calling EMS as a safety precaution in case she couldn't. We agreed and EMS was called. Fortunately for us, the midwife stopped the bleeding before EMS arrived. The men came and had to do a bunch of tests and whatnot for protocol's sake, but they were nice and respectful of our choice to have a home birth. I did black out again while they were there, but my blood pressure was fine so after signing papers saying we did not want to go to the hospital they left.

And that's kind of where the excitement ended (fortunately). We got cleaned up, Claire nursed like she had been doing it for forever, and she and I spent the rest of the day exhausted and sleeping on the couch (and ordering Adrian around). Our friends kept the boys overnight and even took them to chuch the next morning so we got a nice babymoon period to rest and get to know each other. My only real complaint is the exhaustion I feel (from lack of blood mostly) but the other unpleasant things that accompany labor are fairly minimal this time around.

We are now loving on this baby girl and admiring how wonderful she is. We haven't taken very many pictures, but I guess that's just the way life goes sometimes. We're excited for my mom to come out next week and take some darling ones of her that we can show off. :) Here is one to satiate some curiosity. More later!

20 comments:

  1. Oh, she's beautiful! I'm glad you called the EMS- proof that homebirthers don't take unnecessary risks. I'm also glad they didn't end up being needed.
    How scary though. I've heard that red-heads are bleeders- did they try pitocin or anything to slow it down (red-haired sister has needed it after pretty much every birth to stop hemorrhaging)?
    Anyways, I'm so happy for you. I always love a good birth story (especially a homebirth one). Congrats, and enjoy that darling new little girl!
    PS how are the boys handling it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh amazing! I am glad she came a bit sooner tan you had guessed and that your active labor wasn't long. She is so beautiful. I am a bit envious of your home birth. sigh. I am glad you are doing well. I bet your boys will just love her so much.
    Take care and eat lots of yumminess to replenish that blood.
    xo and Congrats again !

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I'm glad you mentioned it, Jennifer, I did get 2 shots of pitocin and I can't remember the name of another pill they gave me. But I agree, it's proof that safety is a priority and people who choose home births aren't "stupid".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Glad you are both doing well now! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For my part, I love the full birth story! And I am so glad that everyone was okay after those intense moments! Congratulations on the newest addition to your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is adorable!!! Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jodie, here's a big hug! You are such an amazing woman and mom. I look up to you in so many ways. Congrats on your sweetie pie! You really are a super mom! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS! I'm so glad you and baby are doing better now. I hope you are both able to recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is simply adorable! I'm so glad she is here and you both are safe. Now get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome little Claire! You are so beautiful!!! Your Mommy is an amazing person and one of the sweetest people I've been blessed to know. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations!
    i'm so glad that you are all healthy and well. what a neat birth story :) so happy for you and your home birth. you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you are both okay. I started to tear up when I read your story...something beautiful about appreciating life...or maybe I am unusually emotional right now. LOL. Really....glad you are fine. Take care of yourselves.

    My guess is that Claire is going to be a fiery red head - if not now - definitely later. My sister and her 3 kids flew in this morning. I about fell over - my little neice has the orangest-reddest hair I've ever seen. Here they call them "gingers". They are coveted. So....I am curious....do you think Claire will be a ginger!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cutie! And what a great story, albeit a little scary. I'm glad everything worked out in the end and you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! We're so glad that you're both safe and sound, happy and healthy. She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're a trooper! Congrats again! You should have called me earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I am so glad you are both happy and healthy and well! What an amazing experience. How nice to have a friend keep the boys for you overnight even! I don't think I realized you had found a midwife you were happy with there! I'm so glad you were happy with your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. she is beautiful! i am so happy for you! you did an amazing job at home!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Jodie. As a L&D nurse your story is scaring me to death....she is a beautiful baby. Hopefully someday I can talk you into hospitals :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! She's adorable! I'm glad that everything went well in the end, even with the little scare. And hurray on having a little "babymoon"!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think she looks like Adrien. I love her beautiful face and eyes.

    ReplyDelete