09 March 2010

To all my nurse friends:

I noticed a rash on Peter's stomach last night at bath-time. Just right near his belly button. This morning I noticed it had gone up his belly a little bit. Tonight at bath-time it's spread all over his torso and onto his back and a little on his neck.


He has no other symptoms of anything (no fever, etc. though he was pretty whiny today) and it does not seem to bother him (except for the million times I've pulled up his shirt to look at it today). We also haven't had any change in our normal day (no new detergent or clothes, no new foods, no new soaps, etc.).


My first thought was roseola, but since there was no fever I decided against it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I figure since it doesn't bother him that I can just watch it for a few days to see if there are any other symptoms? Is this a bad idea and should I take him to see a doctor? This is also a week full of babysitting--we had 2 kids here today, 2 are coming tomorrow and my boys will be going to babysitters on Thursday and Friday because I have doctor's appointments...should I be worried and warn all the children he's had contact with and reschedule my appts (please say no because one is an ultrasound)??

Opinions, please.


**and as a side note, can someone please comment on the last post? Adrian gets all bummed that no one ever tends to comment when he writes. I try to tell him that's just not true...**

12 comments:

  1. I'm not a nurse, but Daniel has now had 3 unexplainable rashes, no fevers, seemingly no pain... each time the doc said "probably just a viral rash, nothing to do but let it work itself out". Apparently viral rashes are pretty common. Hope he gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also not a nurse, but given my share of rashes, it looks viral to me too, esp. given the location and grouchies. i wouldn't reschedule for something so benign, maybe warn people though, I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is eczema, a common skin disorder. It can be treated with over the counter hydrocortizone cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eczema usually seems to be chronic and start on their face or hands. I would DEFINITELY rule out Roseola if there was no fever. I wouldn't rush to the doctor either if there aren't any other symptoms - unless your gut feeling tells you to do so. Usually things like that are contagious for the first two or three days, so I'd be cautious with exposing him to others for about that long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been an occasional blog stalker on your blog ever since your mom had her Ma in the Raw blog, back in the day. Hope you don't mind.

    I had a rash on my torso a couple of years ago that looked a LOT like your little guys. I read everything I could online...it wasn't painful, it didn't itch and I had no other symptoms. I finally self diagnosed it as PITYRIASIS ROSEA. It lasted several months and finally just went away. Nothing more ever came of it besides the red patches.

    Possibly it is just that.

    Good Luck.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be a little worried (but I'm a big panicker) because there are a few rashes/diseases out there that are really bad for pregnant women. I'd check around online or at least make a call or two to a nurse triage line to see what you find out. Better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say viral. Rex got HORRIBLE rash/hives just before Christmas and it was viral. My kids are always getting skin rashes. Unless he has a fever, I wouldn't be too worried.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Colin was a baby he used to get rashes all over. We went to the doctors and even dermetologists and no-one ever could figure it out. I would say if he doesn't have a fever and it doesn't bother him that it's probably nothing to worry about. It's hard as a mother not to worry but I might watch it for a few days and if it gets worse or doesn't clear up take him in just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The deal with rashes is unless they're accompanied with fever or a really fussy (itchy) baby they're usually ok. You're probably all good. And tell Adrian I love the bread post...i want the cheesy bread recipe...can you email it to me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it will resolve itself in a few days. If it were me, I'd just keep an eye on it and I bet it will subside soon. No worries.

    P.S. I wanted to comment on the bread post because I was so impressed with his "manly baking skills" but I don't know Adrien and I thought it would be a little weird if I left a comment from some stranger. Tell him that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone. I decided to take him in--not because I thought it was anything, but because I wanted to make sure I could tell his babysitters that it was FOR SURE nothing. And it is. Anyways, I'm glad I asked so I know for future break-outs. Thanks again!!

    And Meghan, I don't think it's weird to receive comments from strangers, I think it's flattering, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete