So after almost 2 years of living here, we finally got around to getting Clark's speech evaluated. He was in First Steps while we were in Indiana, but then we moved. And then life happened, as it usually does, and well, he was finally evaluated today.
Although it took me almost 45 minutes to find the place (bad directions, street closings, etc.) the actual evaluation only lasted about 10 minutes. A woman took Clark back to another room and after 10 minutes she came back in shock "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME HE COULD READ!!!"
Me: "Oh, yeah. He can read, but he doesn't speak in complete sentences."
Her: "Yes he does. You're crazy."
She then, for the next 10 minutes, proceeded to go on and on to the other ladies working at the evaluation. Her comments included (but were not limited to):
"He's a genius!"
"Can he stay until 3 and take over my job?"
"He should go straight to first grade"
"I have never seen anyone read so well for so young."
"If anyone tells you he should be checked..." (I had told her how some people have mentioned it) "...tell them 'He's THREE' and leave it at that."
etc.
Well, she sure put my fears to rest. She noticed that he says some sounds incorrectly ("f" instead of "th", "w" sometimes instead of "r", etc.) but that we shouldn't be worried in the slightest.
Boy did I walk out of there with a bit of a spring to my step. I'll never try to justify his speech again. He's doing just fine and is apparently right on track.
LOVE IT!
ReplyDeleteI remember when he was younger he was a bit slow to start but he sure has made leaps and bounds. GREAT JOB CLARK! (and MOM)
We think our kids are amazing but it is always great to hear others brag about them as much as we'd like to :-) Now you get to brag about someone else's bragging about your kid, LOVE IT!
That a girl! :) No worries. Can you teach all my students...please?!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Clark! Thats one for the baby book!
ReplyDeleteThat's great to hear how well he is doing. Just so you know, I do speech and language therapy with preschoolers and elementary aged kids every day...so you can call if you EVER have questions!! Glad your mind is now at ease:)
ReplyDeleteUmmm...YEAH!? I totally agree. SO glad you got in and have that wonderful experience to back you up anytime you wonder. WAY TO GO CLARK-MAN!
ReplyDeleteThat's great to hear that all is well. What a smart boy you have!
ReplyDeleteThats awesome! I have never even had the thought that he was "slow" come in to my mind, not once. It seems like ever since I have known him, he has been sooooo smart. Seriously, reading at 3?!
ReplyDeleteBut if he was a slower starter, that just shows how awesome of a mom you are for working so hard with him. Way to go, Clark and Jodie!
I've always thought Clark was a genius. :) I bet it felt so good to have her rave about him...Go Clark!
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! We had a similar experience with our speech therapist- she kept saying over and over what a smart kid he was. Us mommies worry too much, it's so good to hear from someone else that we are doing things right.
ReplyDeleteso i was looking at this blog today and this girl said that brad was her cousin and she was advertising his blocks on there. So that means Adrian is cousins with her too...(Ashley from "Makeitandloveit.blogspot.com") such a small world!
ReplyDeleteand the funniest thing about it for me was that you aren't the one that told me about her blog, it was a different girlfriend of mine ha ha!
But if you haven't checked out her blog before, you TOTALLY SHOULD! She has some REALLY AWESOME things on there! She is amazing. The stuff that she has on there remindes me of the stuff u do. So ya.. u would totally love her site!
Tell me what you think.
oh i see ha ha! Brad is ur friend :) my bad ha ha!
ReplyDeleteYeah Vicki, I was going to correct you--Brad is our friend who entered a contest that Adrian's brother's work put on. I know it's pretty confusing.
ReplyDeleteAnd yeah, that one is a blog that I check regularly and have made a few things from as well. It is a great blog...Thanks for thinking of me, though!
Love that story!
ReplyDeleteOf course he is a genius! And cute too! Thanks again for letting my girls come play today--they had lots of fun!
ReplyDelete