01 November 2009

Applesaucing

Halloween morning we woke up early (when I say "we" I mean everyone who isn't me) to begin our applesauce making and canning project!





In numbers:
3.5 bushels
65 quarts
2 hot-bath canners
6.5 hours from start to finish
2.5 hours (approx) that Clark insisted on cranking that handle!



Yum! Thanks, Mom H for coming and helping and providing the apples! We're so excited to enjoy applesauce for a long time.

12 comments:

  1. Holy moly--that's a lot of applesauce. What great food storage and a fun activity for the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you--I have a big LOAD of apples in my garage waiting to be sauced! It should be a fun party--I'm jealous that you are already done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Do you remember all the apple trees we had at our house growing up? And all the quarts of applesauce we canned every year? Makes me a little jealous I don't get to do it anymore! The homemade stuff is the absolute best! Next year you should try adding a dozen little Red Hots to the bottom of a few jars. Gives them just enough of a cinnamon taste and adds a bit of color. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - What an amazing post! You guys are amazing!! So is Mom Heliselt! So much work - and such great rewards. LUCKY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! you are ambitious! THat's a lot of work! Jason enjoyed seeing Adrian last week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm yum! I think we'd go through all that in a couple months! What is the crank thingy that you used? Look less time consuming than the cooking process that I've used! You're making me feel ambitious...

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO fun! and you got 2 of your men in the kitchen... even better.

    yumm yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work! I thought of you and applesauce earlier this week. I'm going to have to find me a little contraption like that. Enjoy, it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I totally feel for you. Did you read all my applesauce posts from about a month ago? But I must admit, it took me a lot longer than 6.5 hours and I only got about 50 pints. :) Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, what do you do with all of that left over sludge??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Compost it. Adrian made a compost box in our backyard so it gets thrown in with all the other scraps of food and leaves and stuff. Can't wait for our garden next year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazingly cool. Good job guys!

    ReplyDelete