25 August 2009

Homemade finger paints.


Ugh, I was seriously sick of seeing that nasty cicada every time I opened our blog!

Today I knew we needed to do something different than our "usual" so I made finger paints. We painted a mural outside.

Okay, in reality, it wasn't as big of a hit as I wanted it to be. Clark doesn't like getting his hands gloppy if he can help it, so we used paint brushes. And they don't work as well as fingers do, so he got frustrated.

And Peter just ate it.
Luckily I knew it was edible (though probably quite disgusting!).

And then it got dirty and, and Clark was no longer interested, and I think Peter realized it wasn't tasty, so both boys were done quickly after we started. Too bad. It could have been fun.

Here's the recipe. It's my sister-in-law's recipe and I thought it worked well enough.

Easy Finger Paints:
3 T sugar
1/2 c corn starch
2 c cold water
powdered tempera paint or food coloring

Mix together in a saucepan and cook on med. heat until thickened, stirring continuously. Pour into muffin tins and color. Let cool before using.

6 comments:

  1. Great idea Jodie. We used chocolate pudding in Lynzy's little preschool and I think you could probably dye vanilla any color you want to. But I did see kids eating the "paint" more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used different colors of pudding before too. This recipe looks pretty simple with stuff I always have around. Do you have to worry about the paint staining with food coloring in it though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good question. I don't have an answer. It didn't stain anything we had on or Peter's face, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't. Wish I had a better answer, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, thanks for a new post. I didn't like seeing that bug every time either : ) Isn't that just poetic how if you plan something that you think would be tons of fun, the kids just don't like it that well. It happens to me all the time. Anyway, thanks for the recipe! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that always the way! But it looks like it was fun, anyway. I may try that recipe when we get home.

    ReplyDelete