...and tiling, and grouting, and sealing, and moving outlets, and sanding, and puttying, and sanding, and puttying, and assembling cabinets, and installing cabinets, and vacuuming (oh! the vaccuming...)...
It's been slow-going. We work in the evenings a few times a week. We'll go to our house and put the boys to bed, which then gives us 2 or 3 hours to work. Once Peter wakes up at around 10:30 or 11 (since he still is an awful sleeper and is convinced that he needs to eat at that time) we transfer the boys back to our apartment and we crash. It works pretty well and we're able to be a lot more productive without little ones at our feet...but like I said, it's slow-going since we only have 2 hours here or 3 hours there.
We've mostly worked on the kitchen. The goal is to have the kitchen completely finished and the rooms all painted before we actually move in. Today Adrian bought counter tops and started installing cabinet doors...which means we're in the last leg of the kitchen stuff. I worked on painting the living room. Let's be honest...cutting in absolutely stinks! I am so bad at it. Adrian's mom was here last weekend and she did all the cutting in for the kitchen/dining room and oh how I wish she was here to cut in the entire house. So when you come to visit...look straight ahead--no looking up or down, m'kay?
Anyways, that's the latest. We've been taking pictures as we've been going so once it's finished I'll be sure to post a before/after shot to show how marvelous a job Adrian has done (because honestly he's done all the hard stuff). I've mostly just painted...and I'm pretty sure I want to leave the living room the way I have it in the picture, what'd'ya think?
Yeah, our cutting skills aren't too hot at our house either. I've decided it's just a way for God to try to cure my OCD habits. After looking at not-so-super paint jobs for 8 months, I'm almost to the point where it doesn't bug me and I don't care. Maybe I'm ready to have kids now...
ReplyDeleteI love the paint job! I can't wait to see more. I think there should be a Jodie is HOT wall as well because let's face it - You're definetly HOT :D
ReplyDeleteOh leave it! You could even put an empty frame around them and you have "pictures"! At least you are trying to have a good time with painting. Its not my favorite by any means... But its so worth it in the end.
ReplyDeleteWhat a 'lovely' home!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally impressed! Won't it feel great to have a home that's really yours?
ReplyDeleteI am impressed - you guys are amazing. Slow and steady wins the race. You are both so darn patient. You both get a BLUE RIBBON and Adrian is surely your HERO.
ReplyDeleteHaha! Awe I miss you!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see the before and after pictures. You'll be so happy to have all the improving done before you move in and have to live with the mess. :) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like fun, in the sense that you'll be able to look back on it and enjoy the time you were able to spend doing it and the craziness that it all was.
ReplyDeleteI am a little confused about the term "cutting in." I think that might be what Micah and I call "edging." If it is, I have to say the first time we painted our apartment (in Hawaii) we used normal brushes. It was a pain. When we painted our apartment here, we used edging brushes which we so much easier, and even though they weren't perfect, they did really well. There are a few places we still need to go back and touch up, but it was worth it.
But if "cutting in" is not the same as "edging" please disregard that comment.
oh, I think yes. Cutting in and edging are apparently the same thing. :) And I only have used the edging brush and still it's awful. I think the main problem is that we have textured ceilings with a funny ridge in the corner. So there isn't a nice line to follow. And if you accidentally get it on the ceiling (which I have) it looks really bad. And because it's textured, I couldn't even tape it if I wanted to. Oh well...
ReplyDeleteYes, I would say leave it as is. I like personal touches like that in the home. :) My Mom is also an excellent cutting in-er/edger. She would do it with a small paint brush and was absurdly good at it. I don't think I've ever really tried, so I have no idea how I am at it. Good luck with the rest of the work!
ReplyDelete