20 April 2009
Children's book help.
Clark's birthday is fast approaching. This year I'd really only like to get him books to help improve his reading. I'd like more of the early-reader types but where do I find them? We have one Clifford book ("The boy sees the dog. The dog sees the boy." etc.) and it's perfect for him...and I want more that are that style. But can you give me some suggestions as to what books are good and where I can find good deals? I've been directed to the Scholastic Book website, but can you suggest any more? All of the books I own have either been given to me or bought from thrift stores. But we don't have good thrift stores around here so that's kind of out. So help me find some good cheap books, please!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
the first grade teacher in me is sending a shout out to Starfall. check out their website: Starfall.com. you can order the books, or just print them for FREE! awesome! (i have taught a dozen kids how to read by starting with starfall.) i would also suggest the public library. get a feel for which books you like, and then check the publishers site for ordering options. good luck!
ReplyDeleteIf you have any friends with kids in elementary school, check out their book orders--the books are always less expensive than the bookstore. And yeah, starfall is awesome (and absolutely free!).
ReplyDeleteAdmittedly, I haven't ordered from here yet, but looks great! Used books for VERY reasonable prices. http://www.biblio.com/
ReplyDeleteHave you tried half price books? From what I could tell, they have a great children's section. I LOVE that store.
ReplyDeleteAmazon.com's used books are great - you can often find books for as low as $2-$3. I also echo the public library - FREE! My best friend has a 4 year old son who loves to read and his title suggestions for Clark are:
ReplyDeleteThe Very Hungry Caterpillar
One Fish Two Fish (or anything by Dr. Seuss really)
Curious George
The BOB books series (bobbooks.com)
You Read to Me, I'll Read to You
Anything by Mo Willems
Good luck and have so much fun!
3 words:
ReplyDeleteHOP
ON
POP
But seriously...how many times a day do I have to hear Hop on Pop? :)
ReplyDelete(we own that one)
We also regularly go to the library--but ours is pretty small and I think we have almost checked out every one in the kid's section. :)
Thanks! And keep the suggestions coming.
You should come visit us! We have a huge used book store nearby that has kids books for really cheap. We hardly ever pay more than $.75, and only for really classic ones. You may find a similar used bookstore nearer, of course, but we just want an excuse to see you guys.
ReplyDeleteDoes the library have a book sale? I just went to ours today and there was a huge basket dedicated to early readers. I can pick some up for you if you want. I'll cover shipping! They're .50 each.
ReplyDeleteEmail me if you do because I'm likely not to look at the comments for this post again. :D
If you find a book or author you like, www.half.com is GREAT! It's basically books and DVD's in an eBay setting. So, they are really reasonably priced. I'm drawing a blank on any authors...I'll be back if I can think of names.
ReplyDeleteOkay first, I should confess that I have been thinking about you in abnormal quantities recently. Second, my brother keeps calling about a thing he saw about "Your Baby Can Read". My mom called a few months ago and told me about a special she saw on The Today Show with how amazing this program is. SO I break down and buy the trial thing. They send you the books for like 14 bucks and if you don't like it within a month you are supposed to send it back for a full refund minus the shipping and handling. If you like the books, dvd's, flash card set and keep it...it's like 200 bucks! I did not realize this small, but important fact. I went on Craigslist and looked for any used versions of the product and did not find any. I have kept the products because I did a great deal of research and the product seems to be something I can use for all of the kiddies. I made a little container for all of the books, flashcards, and dvds. I feel like a teacher ; ) I just started BrenLeigh and Grady on it. Grady LOVES BOOKS and has a reading corner. I often find him on his little chair looking at all of the books. He was a bit behind in the talking concept and has greatly improved in the last two weeks that we have used the dvd and cards. He trys to write the word "hi" and has totally improved with his talking. Go to the site and at least check out the success stories. I think it is pretty reputable. We will see if I keep up with the regimine of activties. I really want to.
ReplyDeleteScholastic.com does give you the option to subscribe to the various book clubs available through schools as Robyn suggested, you just have to join one of their book clubs.
ReplyDeleteFirefly is geared towards PreK & K
http://teacher.scholastic.com/clubs/firefly/may.htm
SeeSaw is K & 1st
http://teacher.scholastic.com/clubs/seesaw/may.htm
SeeSaw have more of the early beginning readers you're looking for, as they assume most PreK kids are still primarily being read TO by parents, not yet reading. There are almost always good paperbacks for a buck, sometimes less.
Another thought: A friend of mine bought the Hooked on Phonics kit from Sam's Club (for about $40), and it came with LOTS of simple readers with a limited vocabulary.
Books I'd forgotten about but recently (re-)discovered that are very basic: Morris the Moose books, Dick & Jane classics, Mo Willem is awesome!
Happy Hunting!
Oops. Here's the link to actually sign up for the book club. Just click on home school.
ReplyDeletehttp://teacher.scholastic.com/clubs/index.htm
I don't know if there are many yard sales around where you live, but I've gotten lots of good books for cheap that way. Also you could check Craigslist, in the books or baby & kid stuff section.
ReplyDelete