09 March 2009
A "granola" post
Ever since we had our home birth in Utah (yes, Clark was a planned home birth!), I have come to love and really appreciate midwives, doulas, and medical professionals who are open-minded about birth and are willing to let me use alternative methods for labor and delivery. I have come to find that out here in the midwest the medical field just doesn't seem to be as friendly toward that kind of attitude as they seemed to be in Utah (well, the west in general). When we had Peter, I gave birth in a hospital in Indiana (just across the river from Louisville) in order for me to be able to use a midwife. I heard rumors that home births are illegal and doulas aren't always welcomed in some hospitals around here. So imagine my surprise when I saw this article on the front page of our local newspaper. It made me quite happy and a little hopeful that attitudes are changing and that we can one day be as "granola" as they are out west (though if you read the comments you may rightly be a little skeptical of that ever happening...).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Isn't it great, I think the media is finally coming around a little to us nuts who actually think female bodies were made for birthing babies.
ReplyDeleteI'm kinda sad, my husband just ruled out a home birth for us (which is fine, I understand his concerns), so it looks like next time around we're going to a natural birthing center with a midwife.
It would be nice for those who want Doula's to be allowed to have one. Not everyone has to get one if they don't want one. The narrow minded thinking drives me crazy!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to get one this time round because the possibility of Kurt not being here for the birth is so high.
If we could ever get a job (esp. in MI) I am going to do a homebirth. But first I need a home to birth in.
Thanks for educating me and others without being pushy! We've learned and grown a lot from you guys being Hippies (as Kurt calls it :D )
Hey Jodie! That is so funny that you just posted this. I don't check out your blog too often, but I was just asking myself who I could talk to about breathing/pain management techniques. I though of you. And there you go. You were thinking about birth, too. So, mind if I pick your brain?
ReplyDeleteso. . . I'm just catching up on your blog. um--amazing. like Jenny, I want to be just like you. I keep telling myself I'm on the way, but I feel really behind. In so many areas. How long will it take me?! And I agree with you. I wish the medical industry was more open minded about all this stuff. *sigh*. Seriously, sign language, backwards alphabet and READING! all before 3?! Sheesh. You really have a good thing going. A great thing. Where do I even start?! I am one of those moms with a 5.5 year old whom I've taught nothing. He can't read (although I just bought the book Jenny recommended "ordin. par. guide to teach. read..." I'm excited but feel it can't come fast enough. And with him being in school until 2:15 everyday, It's SO hard to get him to "work" after he gets home. It's rediculous really. I'm really wanting to homeschool, but with NO experience, I have a LOT of learning to do before I yank him out of school. Good job documenting all of this. It's really amazing and inspiring! :)
ReplyDeleteIt is near impossible to find midwives/doulas in Cleveland, and doctors/hospitals who support them! I think your decision to do a homebirth is great, I've only heard good things about it. I had a C-section with my first so right now I'm looking for a doctor/midwife who supports/is capable of doing VBACs.
ReplyDeleteok, I'm a friend of becca's, but I just wanted to say I think it's really cool that you had a home birth! I live in utah and just hypno-birthed my first baby in orem w/ a midwife and a doula! loved it. I've heard things east aren't as open, so I'm excited to hear it's becoming more positive!:)
ReplyDelete