When we only had one child, running errands in the evening meant I was able to go to the store kidless. It was so nice not to have to "drag" Clark along. I didn't have to repeat, "hold my hand", "run faster", "put that back", "stay by me", "say sorry to that man you just bumped into", etc. I really enjoyed it.
Now that we have two kids, I'm rarely kidless anymore. If I run errands in the evening, usually one of them comes along. But, surprisingly, I like it. I especially love being able to spend one-on-one time with Clark. We get to dawdle, hold hands, run "fast and slow" down the aisles with our cart, share an ice cream cone, or catch snowflakes on our tongues in the parking lots. And although I do sometimes have to repeat the phrases "put that back" or "let's pick up this huge mess you made down the aisle", I still really enjoy it.
Hi Jodie! I have noticed that having more than one kid does make you appreciate it when you are only tasked with one at a time. Today I took both kids grocery shopping which to tell you the truth drives me insane with two of them. I much prefer, one or the other. I spent quite a bit of time saying sit on your hinney while in the cart, hands to yourself, or no we are not getting that. I have found a little trick though, when I have both of them, I give them something to remember that we need to get. Today Lynzy had to remember shampoo and Brock had to remember rice cakes. It works for just a little while but then what is their attention span at 4 1/2 & 2 1/2? Like 30 seconds??
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet post. One day, when Clark is grown, he's going to read this at just the right moment to make him feel extra special. Such lucky boys...
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel. Shopping with all four is a nightmare and I avoid it when I can, but shopping with just one is usually special.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a good mom. Seriously, kids love the time they have with their moms one-on-one. And, I'm sure he can feel that you like it too!
ReplyDelete