03 January 2009

Something to think about

This is a very interesting post. Especially since I rarely buy kids clothes new. This will seriously effect my mom's favorite past time (thrifting!).

8 comments:

  1. ~scoul~ I understand the concern but I NEED thrift shops for kids clothes. hmmm. thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about how this will affect handmade toys, but I didn't even think about clothes! This act sounds like it will hurt not just businesses, but consumers as well. At least this won't affect things like yard sales and craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole thing is ridiculous. I have no idea how they are going to try to enforce that (I sure hope they just don't!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting.

    Now how to act?

    Will it be against the law if it's not sold - if we set up some sort of online trading post of used children's clothing with credit and whatnot? Hmmmmm... this could be my future calling out to me.

    Not really. But something has to be done, obviously. My kids need clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Savers on Saturday and every single bit of the baby clothes on hangers in two rows were completely gone. Even the metal bars that held the clothes. I looked all around and wondered why they got rid of the baby clothes. WHAT???? Are they doing it already? This is terrible! This is totally ridiculous in my opinion. But then won't there be a time soon then when all the baby clothes have been tested and we run out of the "dangerous" clothing? That will be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Freecycle!!! I DID actually hear about this last month by a woman in our ward who's daughter will now be out of work because she makes custom children's clothing and will not be able to pay for the testing. But really, have you ever tried freecycling? People trade kids clothes on there all the time. It's a yahoo group that you have to join (free) and then you just start watching the boards. It's not just for kids clothes, either. Pretty much anything. I'm pretty sure there are groups set up in other states besides AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love freecycle! Thanks for letting others know, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jodie,
    I just read an article that thrift stores are not included.
    Here is the link to the article
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

    ReplyDelete