Clark is doing so much better in his speech! I still see 2-year-olds at the park speaking in sentences and feel like I have to justify Clark's hard-to-understand words to other parents by saying that my child has a "speech delay" but honestly he has improved leaps and bounds. He now mimics every word I say, and mostly gets them right. Most of the blends he can't say "cl", "th", "gr", etc. but he tries so hard! Some words he says are really funny because although he tries really hard, the word he calls them has a different meaning altogether--like "cookie" instead of "monkey" and (my favorite) "poopy" instead of "movie"--too funny!!
We are working on 2- and 3-word phrases and he's getting really good, especially if one is an adjective: "red truck", "yellow bus", etc. and will point out every one he sees on the road. His longest sentences are "mo bilk (more milk) please" (or whatever he wants more of) and "I la (love) toast" (or whatever else he's eating).
Although he knows all his letters, colors, numbers 1-20, and shapes, many of the words aren't pronounced correctly, but they are consistent so we know he knows them. So when he out-of-the-blue correctly says one he's previously said incorrectly we get really excited. He now can say "nine", the letters "u" and "y", and "green" none of which he said correctly before.
He almost never uses signs anymore and instead will actually try saying the word, which is great.
Suddenly yesterday in the bathtub he started holding up letters and telling me their sounds. Adrian and I haven't started teaching sounds yet so I was shocked when he was saying them right "ssss", "tttttt", "wwww", "mmmm", etc. I laughed when he held up a 4 and tried to make up a sound for that! But honestly, I don't know where he's learning these things. He picks up on learning letters and words SO quickly!!
He can recognize and read close to 50 words and we're going to start working on teaching him to read short sentences by putting the words together (hopefully).
He seriously progresses so much every day! I love it and am getting excited for his pronunciation to improve as well. Great job, Clark!
He is totally improving. It seems like every time we see him he is saying new things. Way to go Clark!
ReplyDeleteHe's sounds like a smart kid. Nathan is over three years old and still talks with a pretty heavy lisp, but I think its cute. They outgrow that sort of thing, and then they really seem like big kids!
ReplyDeletenow that he is starting to do sounds he may really enjoy if you showed him starfall.com. Haylie loves it and I like it since I don't have a lot of learning stuff around the house. It does all the letters and sounds in the ABC section and also has special songs for vowels and sings the alphabet with a vowel and a word starting with it after each letter. I am glad he is improving, we already knew he was smart, now he can just say that he is.
ReplyDeleteHaylie is just starting to really communicate some things we can understand... not much, but it is so fun!
I am sorry, it sings the alphabet with the letter name, sound, and a word for each letter.
ReplyDeleteWay to show 'em, kid!! We love your smartypants boys.
ReplyDeleteThat's incredible! I don't think you need to worry or justify. It sounds like he is one smart little toddler and is probably just taking his time with speaking.
ReplyDeleteWhat excitement. Speech delays are so hard to sympathize with unless you've experienced them yourself. Each sound is a milestone... enjoy and celebrate... and one day he'll be telling you off and you may look back fondly to the signing days! (Not that Clark would EVER do that!)
ReplyDeleteWONDERFUL! I love to hear your teaching methods. I'm always looking for new ways to capture my kids' interest and get them on their way to reading more.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, by the way ! :)
ReplyDeleteHe seems like such a smart kid. I wouldn't say he is delayed at all. Every kid just progresses differently. Like with J, he is 11 months and crawling like a champ, but doesn't walk yet. The kid down the street who is 10 months old has been walking for weeks. You guys seem like you are great parents! Don't worry so much! BTW, thanks for sharing the fun ideas you had to entertain Clark. I have used some with my nephews and am stock piling for when J gets older!
ReplyDeleteI'm convinced that "speech delay" is the wrong word for it. I don't know of any boys Simon's age who speak. And all of the parents of these boys are being made to feel like their children are deficient in some way. But they'll catch up and they will be fine, just like Clark.
ReplyDelete