16 August 2008

Welcome Peter James


I really don't know where to start. I can't be more happy or feel more blessed. I had a fantastic labor and delivery and know that the road to recovery is going to be very short. And Peter is finally here and is such a nice baby. And I am no longer pregnant. I seriously am on cloud nine.

The story goes like this (be aware, I can't tell a story without telling a million unnecessary details):

I had a my doctor's appointment Thursday morning, 9:10 am. I went and my midwife checked me and I was at 4-5 cm dilated, 80% effaced, and he was at a -2 station. So basically I was close, but needed something to jump-start the labor since I wasn't having any contractions or anything. I asked her to strip my membranes which she did but in the process she accidentally broke my water as well (she was really upset with herself--it was the first time she had ever done that!). In all honesty I was relieved to know I was going to have him that day for sure. Adrian was luckily in the waiting room so we quickly ran home and got things packed, cleaned, and sent Clark to a friend's house.

At noon we went back to the hospital. At this point I had still been having NO contractions. Nothing. And I was a little worried. For 4 hours at the hospital we tried to get things going--we walked and tried a few other methods but still nothing happened. The last thing I wanted was to have nothing happen all day and then have to have a bunch of medical interventions to get him out. Finally at about 4:30 my midwife came in to check on my progress. Turns out there are 2 linings to the "bag of water" and she had only punctured the outer lining. So we decided to have her break the inner bag (talk about a weird sensation!) and then she left to go to church and said "call me when something is happening".

Turns out that was exactly what was needed. My contractions began almost right away and were pretty sharp right off the bat. They were still a few minutes apart so Adrian ran to get something to eat. At 5:45 I was uncomfortable enough to ask the nurse to fill the tub so I could labor in it. They needed to monitor the baby for a certain period of time so we decided I'd do the monitoring and then get in the tub. While I was hooked up the nurse asked what my pain was on a scale of 1-10 and when I said about 8ish she mentioned that the contractions were coming every 1.5-2 minutes and she thought it might be good to check me in case she needed to get ahold of the midwife. I was at a 8, almost 9 so she left the room to call the midwife. I had 2 contractions while she was gone and felt the incredible urge to push. It's amazing how when you need to push--there isn't anything you can do to stop it. I yelled at Age to get the nurse and as I was pushing the nurse and other people rushed in to get everything ready. Needless to say, my midwife didn't make it and it was lucky that there was an OB on the floor--(she wasn't on call, she had just delivered another girl a few minutes previous and was leaving as the nurse grabbed her!). I pushed 10-15 minutes and then life was marvellous. He was born at 6:31 and I held him and bawled my eyes out because I had been waiting so long to meet him and so happy he was here. I would have done that a million more times just for that moment.

an hour after birth

So, from when contractions began to when he came was just under 2 hours. If that's how all my labors could go from here on out I wouldn't mind having a dozen more children. I tore a little and got a few stitches but I don't feel like I was hit by a train (like I did after I had Clark) because my labor was so incredibly short. I am shocked at how great I feel, physically. I did forget how much I dislike after-pains and the "latch-on" the first week or so of breastfeeding but all of it is so worth it.

Peter eats like a champ and (so far) is very mellow. I feel like he looks nothing like Clark did when he was born and everything like Adrian (which is ironic since I thought Clark looked like Adrian as well). Peter for sure has Adrian's nose and he even has little jutting eyebrows like Adrian has. Unfortunately for him, though, he has inherited the Cozza double chin. He has a little more hair than Clark did and it is definitely not red at this point...but we'll see if it stays that way.
There is no doubt this kid belongs to Adrian--doesn't this look so much like him?

Our first family picture

The boys

32 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Thanks for the pictures and the details, I like reading them. Glad the birth went so well once it got started. He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look so much like Adrian! It's so great to see him finally and to hear that you are feeling so good too. What a wonderful birth day for Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH HE LOOKS LIKE ADRIAN!! See me shouting? I really didn't believe you when you told me on the phone. He's so cute. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations again! Jodie, you look so beautiful for having a baby! Peter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah!!! I'm so glad he's finally here. And you're right he looks just like Adrian...sometime you and me both will have kids that look like us, but for now our kids are perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah!!! I'm so glad he's finally here. And you're right he looks just like Adrian...sometime you and me both will have kids that look like us, but for now our kids are perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I think he's SO cute - and definitely has a Heiselt look. You are lucky they are a good looking bunch of boys. ;) I agree that he doesn't look much like Clark yet, but I LOVE to see how unique they both are. I can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you guys!! i know you've waited FOREVER. He does look just like Age!! Yay for an easy delivery! Thanks for the speedy details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I'm so glad he finally decided to make his grand entrance. He is just precious and I can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for you guys! Can't wait to post our wonderful news and pics on our blog! He is absolutley precious! Congrats to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats. He is adorable.
    I'm glad it all went so well
    for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a handsome little boy! You don't look like you just went through labor and delivery, you look so good! Congratulations on your new little one! He and Clark will be such great brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh congrats congrats! He looks so sweet and I'm so happy for you - you definately deserved a birth break!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray! On Friday night I got together with the Bassetts and the Robisons and Thurstons (of course we missed you guys) and Peter was so proud of the name you gave to your litle one... congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so happy for you all. I am especially thrilled the birth went so well. Love the pictures!!

    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  16. He's here! And WELL WORTH THE WAIT! Your beautiful perfect wonderful boy is here! I am so happy for you guys. He looks like a darling wonderful little guy. Thanks for sharing your story. We are SO happy for you...-The Frost's

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! He's a cutie--there's something so perfect about a newborn. I'm totally impressed in your non-medicated birth skills, and how great you look just after delivery. Have fun with your new little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! he is beautiful and I am glad you are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great labor and delivery! You deserve to have it "easy". I agree, he looks so much like his dad. You have one beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!! I am SO glad you had such a great labor and delivery and are recovering so well. What a blessing. He is so beautiful! We love you guys SOO much!

    Missy & Conan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, he does look like Adrian. Seriously, he's such a good looking new born. Usually you have to wait a few weeks to get a good open-eyed handsome pic like that. Congrats!
    Sounds like a great labor experience! Hope the healing goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so awesome! Congratulations! So glad to hear everyone is doing well. What a cute, cute family picture! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats, he is a cute little guy. Yeah for a quick delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jodie! You look great! Congrats to you and Adrian on a healthy and beautiful baby. I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay!! I'm so happy for you guys. Jodie, I wish I looked as great as you did an hour after giving birth! Wow. He does indeed look just like his daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. YAY! I'm so excited! I saw the pictures and I just gasped and said, "WOW! That's Adrian!" :)
    I'm so glad he's here! So glad you are feeling well, Jodie.

    ReplyDelete
  27. WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL! Congratulations! I'm so glad you're doing well and feeling good too! So happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a sweetheart! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just found your blog from Mortenson's..so glad I did. Congrats on the little guy, he is so precious. I can't wait to meet him! You look fantastic!
    If you want, send me an email and I will invite you to our blog, rupee40@hotmail.com.
    Ali Broadbent

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats Jodie! He is beautiful. Oh, and by the way, you told the baby shower story much nicer than I would have =) I can laugh about it now... well, mostly, when I not thinking about the $1000 deductible =) Congrats again. Can't wait to meet Peter. Let us know if Clark would like to come play one day. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm late chiming in--but hooray and CONGRATS.

    xoxo
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  32. Way cute. I'm glad it was so easy. i'm with you if all labors could go that quickly I would do it over and over. Anyways I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete