08 May 2008

Really random hair post


I was just thinking yesterday how most hair products on the market "add volume" to your hair. So what about us who need LESS volume?? I sometimes look for products claiming to flatten and weigh down my hair so that I don't look like a poof-ball, especially in humid and wet weather. The very last thing I need is a volume boost. The only person that I have ever met who may have thicker hair than me, is my sister-in-law, Bente. And she has 9 children (does having children thicken or thin out your hair??).

In December I got my hair cut by my sister's favorite hair guy and as he was beginning my cut he basically said "I've met my match". He thinned it out and, to be honest, I really couldn't tell that much a of difference for too long.

To add to the thickness of my hair, it is also pretty wavy/curly. I love that I have options--some days I want curly hair and some days I want straight--but it sure makes life difficult on rainy days like today when my hair doesn't know what to do. I love showering, but try to only wash my hair every other day (or every third day) because I hate having to do my hair afterwards--the 15 minutes of just blow-drying is enough to make me go crazy. Then if I straighten it--which must be done in layers--it can take anywhere from a half hour to 45 minutes to complete (now do you understand why I'm late for most things??!).

On the good side, my hair hold a curls fantastically (it can hold the same curl for days if I don't wash it) and I get compliments more often than I can count by random people (I was walking to the bus one day at BYU when some guy behind me randomly said "I hope you love your hair" and then continued waking past me while I stared at him wondering who he was). I do love my hair--it can just be a pain and hard to manage sometimes.

So, does anyone have a solution to my problem besides chopping it all off (I've gone that route before--it only makes things worse!)? What are you favorite hair care products?

6 comments:

  1. um I have the opposite problem, so could you share please. I even lost hair after I had Haylie, and it is still strait as an arrow.

    There are a couple girls in my ward that have the curly very volumous hair. They use some of the products in the ethnic hair section. Good luck. and for the record I love your hair, but I don't know if I would love the work. It was nice when my hair was long to get out of the shower and go.

    take care :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a really good suggestion! I had never thought to look there before, but I am so totally going to try it! Thanks, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know too well how you feel! Only, mine is curly, no matter what! I will spend the hours straightening mine and only hours later it will start the frizz and volume beyond belief! Let me know if you find anything that works because I am wondering that same question! My mom keeps telling me to have it thinned at a salon too, but I'm nervous as to how it will grow out and be pony tail length if not all the hair is long enough. Keep me updated!
    Marianne
    P.S. I missed seeing you but am so excited for you guys! Your so darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right with you on this one!! I keep trying new products, but they seem to work for only about the first half of the bottle before my hair out smarts it! Because my hair is not only thick enough to be 2 heads of hair, but really long as well, I just bought some herbal essence for long hair. Haven't tried it yet.

    Mine actually ends up in a bun or braid most of the time, except on weekends when Todd straightens my hair (he really likes it long and straight). No joke, it takes him about 1 1/2 hours!!! I've totally given up on blow drying. Let me know if any of the ethnic products work.

    Good luck! (BTW, your hair is awesome and always soooo cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in how the ethnic hair care section works for you. You'll have to let us know.

    I also think that having too much hair is a much better problem than having too little. Just like I think having red hair or curly hair is a much better problem than . . . having any other kind of hair. :) You're a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hair. I'm right with Stacy on this one . . my hair is so fine, flat and I lose more and more each time I'm pregnant, have the baby, nurse, etc. I actually looked at a picture from last weekend (one taken from above me), and it looks like I'm bald. I had to squint to see I actually had hair! Anyway, good luck with the products, I just keep telling myself, "in the after-life I'll be able to sing, have a perfect body, and amazing voluminous hair!" :)

    ReplyDelete