11 May 2008

Mother's Day helper



Whenever I'm working in the kitchen Clark now scoots a chair in to come and "help". Today his assistance consisted of stirring the sauce mixture out of the bowl and all over the counter, putting a chewed-up olive back into the bowl, flinging a wire whisk of brownie mix all over the kitchen, and scooping dirty sink water all over the floor. I love it when this kid helps! :)

8 comments:

  1. Sorry about the mess...but what a great kid! Good job little buddy...HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good helper. Sure does make you feel loved, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good and patient! I HATE kitchen helpers! I only tolerate it because I want to create capable adults, but yesterday when I was in charge of FHE treat, Greg gave me the best mothers day gift - making "pre-made" just put on the cookie sheet cookies with my kids! Totally stress free, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I agree. I totally want my kids to be involved and grow up to be capable of doing many things, but boy is it hard to have the patience! It's the way we all learn though. :) Rock on Jodie, you're a powermom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was actually a sarcastic way of saying "I can't wait for him to actually help without making my whole working area a mess!" I am really working hard at letting him help if he wants to (hoping that later in life he'll still want to help--like clean his room??). Adrian is much better about letting Clark work alongside him than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me just say that Ryan is really into helping right now and it's generally very NICE. Now, he did turn on the blender while we were making fruit leather and the top wasn't on, so it went EVERYWHERE. But after my initial "RYAN!!" I tried to laugh it off and show him why it's not a good idea to do that again. Anyway, it does get much more tolerable in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last week I was making cookies with both of my kids. It was such a circus - while I'm helping one pour, the other is drinking the vanilla extract. It was almost all I could do to just keep the Kitchen Aid from ending up on the floor. Joey and Caleb were in the kitchen too and they both agreed that neither of them were up to that kind of cooking. I'm not sure they thought the cookies were worth all the work either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, it's SO hard to let my kids help when they're that little, but I learned the hard way that if I don't, then by the time they ARE old enough to really help they don't want to. I have SO many fond memories of helping Mom in the kitchen (granted my memories are pretty much of me aged 6 and up!), and I really want that for my children. I came from a "team cooking" family, and I cannot wait until we have that kind of atmosphere in ours. Keep up the good work Jodie!

    ReplyDelete