Today was Adrian's graduation. And surprisingly it was not as horrible as I thought it would be. In fact, I really enjoyed the commencement address which was given by none other than Will Shortz. Unless you're a crossword puzzle geek like me you may not know that Will Shortz is the editor of the
New York Times crossword puzzle (among other things). He went to school at IU and as a freshman he created his own degree in enigmatology (the study of riddles) through IU's individualized major program. He's the only person in the world with academic credentials in creating puzzles. So needless to say, his address was very entertaining and included a quiz of 4 well-known IU graduates and what they actually majored in. The main point of his speech was basically that it doesn't really matter what you graduate in--you can do whatever your heart desires. He also included these riddles in the program:
1. Delete six consecutive letters from "Indiana University" to get a two-word phrase that describes an important way in which the IU student body excels.
2. Rearrange the letters of
SLAM BASH YELL
to name a place at IU where these three things occur
3. The name of what classic movie is a rearrangement of the letters in
A WAG BIKE YARN ?
Anyways, way to go, Age! We're very excited and proud of you!
Our cute little family (and wow do I look like a pregnant lady ready to pop! No one would guess I still have THREE months to go. *sigh*)

Adrian and his proud mom.

And with his good friend, Rob.
Congratulations Adrian!
ReplyDeleteAnd I have to say, I listen to the Sunday Puzzler by podcast every week and I love Will Shortz. It is fun to hear a little of his personality (you don't get that from his puzzles in the newspaper or Reader's Digest) As a matter of fact, he mentioned he was giving a commencement address at his Alma Mater but I didn't catch that it was IU! I bet it was really fun. And maybe I'll try to solve those riddles later...
Oh the answer to the first is "In diversity" right?
ReplyDeletegood work! (that's actually the only one I've taken the time to figure out. :))
ReplyDeleteWOW - CONGRATULATIONS ADRIAN. THIS IS A REALLY REALLY BIG DEAL! We will have to help you celebrate! Maybe a little something will be in the mail. I wish we could have been there. I love the pictures. Super great! Jodie you look adoreable!!! Did we ever tell the baby's name yet?
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ma! We wished you were here, too.
ReplyDeleteAnd no, we haven't "announced" his name on our blog. And probably won't until he's born. So make sure you don't accidentally slip! :) (good luck!)
Congratulations to all of you! That is a huge accomplishment! Good luck with your next step in life!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Adrian (even if I only met you once at my wedding reception...you probably don't remember though)! Your family is sure cute and Jodie you definitely don't look like your ready to pop any day. You look quite cute!
ReplyDeleteCongrats Jodie and Adrien! I have to say, your little boy is adorable in those graduation pictures. He looks like such a happy little boy! Is he always that smiley or was he just extra smiley because his dad just graduated? Either way, I wish I could get my 2 year old to smile for pics like that!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! You guys look like you are doing so well and I am so excited for you! Looks like there are alot of new doors opening. We love you guys!
ReplyDeleteMarianne
P.S. I wish I was that cute! My belly is still in the "squishy" stage, no cute baby belly yet!
Congrats! That's awesome. I cannot wait for that day. I thought about those questions for about thrity seconds and realized that I was not going to figure them out on my schedule. I'll save them and bring them out when the boys are 18 or something.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Age!!
ReplyDelete