18 May 2008

Clark's mad skills

I'm posting this because I have to keep reassuring myself that Clark really is a smart kid. Maybe he doesn't have a lot of words in his spoken vocabulary but he can either speak, sign or gesture all of his letters, his numbers 1-10, the the six colors of the rainbow, a few of his shapes, and reads about 15 words.

This is the third attempt at getting this "reading" video, so he's a little done by this point. He signs most of the words like shoes, banana, milk, car, (some a little more sloppy than others!) and some words (like grandpa and grandma) are hard for anyone but us to understand the subtle difference. Maybe this isn't that impressive to most...since he isn't speaking them...but I'll show off his skills anyways.

13 comments:

  1. You have one smart little boy there, Jodie! I am very, very impressed!!! Way to go, Clark Shark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is well 2-3 years well ahead of most of my kindergartners when they first started kindergarten! Impressive!
    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I love that you actually made flash cards. You're very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome. I love your "Yay, Good Job" and clapping at the end. We do that too. So now everytime Haylie does something or sees someone doing something she thinks is good, she jabbers and claps.

    You've got me motivated, I have to work more with Haylie.

    You are looking positively beautiful pregnant. Wanna trade count down numbers. I like yours much better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK so your little boy is very smart, but what would we expect from a dad like he has?
    Hey, I hear you may be my "neighbor" again some day?
    Soon I hope!
    Keep me posted.
    Rometta
    romamma@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jodie you are the best! Darling as ever - whoa - you are cute pregnant! That made me so happy to see Clark learn so much. YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really incredible! I love that he can sign or act out the words he's reading, even if he doesn't say them yet. They suddenly turn a corner and start talking more than you can believe! Lily has just blossomed in her language skills in the past couple of weeks and she just turned two about a month ago. You're good to work with him! It really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone. :)

    And Stacy, remember I've been pregnant for almost a year and a half--trust me, you don't want to switch places. I think I deserve this baby sooner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok you win. (I have never been much for patience) SO I can't wait to see YOU with you new little baby. I am SO happy for you. all your children are beautiful.

    hey they will all have been born in different states, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll add to Natalie's comment...my kindergarteners come into the school year not knowing any letters, any sounds, any words, any colors, or even their name...When they leave kindergarten (at 6 years old), they know these things and are beginning to read-they should know 25 simple sight words like "I" or "me". I would say he's doing just fine...at least by Utah's education standards...ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. You cannot possibly doubt that child! He is SO smart! I think Burke finally mastered his colors sometime last year (he confused red and green and occasionally others for so long we had started to think he was partially colorblind) despite much work on the subject. You guys are such awesome and dedicated parents... rock on!

    ReplyDelete