For the past few months, Peter has had a REALLY hard time hearing. He was always asking to repeat things, and made everyone frustrated with what he couldn't hear. He failed the hearing test at the pediatrician's twice. The list goes on. Since we dealt with this with Clark, I just wanted the tubes to get it over with. The ENT also suggested getting his adenoids removed.
We were scheduled to arrive at 6:45 am. We had been prepping Peter. He knew *kind of * what was happening and that the surgery would help him hear better. He got alone time with me and plenty of time to play on my tablet, so he didn't mind. At 8:30 ish they gave him what they called "giggle juice". Let me tell you, it made him SO loopy. I couldn't stop laughing. I have a ton of videos of him just so out of it--I was the one giggling for sure. Around 9:00 they wheeled him away.
![]() |
| Before the surgery |
9:20 the doc came in and said everything went great and that he'd be in the recovery area sleeping off the anesthesia and that they'd wheel him in when he was awake.
At about 10:30 the nurse came and asked that I follow her. Peter was sort of awake and wanted nothing to do with the nurses or the IV or tubes or the slushies or pain medicine or anything. When I walked in, he was close to what we call "freak-out mode". I could tell he wasn't fully awake and had no clue what was going on and wanted out of there. I sat in a big chair and pulled him into my lap. I rocked him and shushed him and talked and reassured him and it still took a good 10 minutes to calm him down. They administered pain meds through his IV since he wouldn't drink anything and after he was calm enough to talk to me, he whimpered "I don't ever want to come here again". It was so heart breaking. My poor baby.
They wheeled us in the chair to our room and it took him another hour of me rocking him before he was ready to eat jello and another hour before he was semi-normal. Then it came time for the removal of the IV. Freak-out mode began again and I had to basically hold him down (his arm at least) so the nurse could remove all the tape and IV.
When we were finally able to go home (6 hours after we arrived!), he was feeling better and never did ask for any medicine (or refused it if I offered). His hearing has definitely improved, but I'm surprised that it wasn't as night-and-day difference like it was with Clark. BUT the frustrations have lessened (on everyone's part) and I am glad we had it done. And I pray that he doesn't have to go there again any time soon...

First of all, I didn't know you had a tablet! When did you get that? Birthday? FUN!!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I totally want to watch some giggle juice videos of Peter. Cami would too. We'll have to schedule a time to do that (busy us...)
Finally, I'm glad it went well. Sounds like Peter was kind of like my Noah. He was SOOO inconsolable after waking up from his surgery. It was heart breaking. He had no idea what was up, and every time he looked down and saw himself hooked up to stuff, he freaked out. It was so sad. Didn't help that he was numb from the waist down. He wanted his legs to work, but they just didn't. Anyway, hooray for tubes and no adenoids! Glad they are already helping!
i wanna see some giggle juice video too! tell peter even adults sometimes struggle waking up from surgery. I started freaking out the first time I came out of anesthesia too. it's freaky!! in fact, my dad hated it so much he refused to go under to remove a plate from his arm. so glad Peter's doing better though. I just caught up on your last 3 posts. glad to see everyone doing well and still smitten with adam. he's five months? sheesh! Calvin's not far behind and I don't want him on solids! or growing up! at all! maybe ever. ;)
ReplyDelete