05 October 2012

Befores and Afters

So, it's no secret that we tend to do a lot of projects around these parts. At the end of my pregnancy, I kind of went a little crazy about starting projects.  There were quite a few half-done projects when Adam was born so we're slowly working our way through to finish them.  These are a couple.



These were our kitchen chairs.  They served us well for the past few years until someone took something sharp and pierced the vinyl.  We sat on these split chairs for. so. long. until I couldn't handle it anymore.  (This was, by the way, not my smartest "nesting" project).

I bought this pretty red and white oilcloth.  I replaced the foam and vinyl and then realized the red and white looked awful with the brown chairs.  So, naturally I decided to sand and spray paint the chairs white (of course I couldn't just buy a better-matching oilcloth). 


After many (many) hours, and a lot more money than intended (I think it took at least 9 cans of spray paint!) I do think they look nice, and the oilcloth is very sturdy.  I'm a little disappointed that the white paint on the backs is already starting to crack off and that they no longer match my kitchen table, but I don't really know what to do about either of those things. Oh well.  They're staying like this for a long time. Ha!


 


This project was a much better idea (and done by Adrian, so of course turned out much nicer!).  We needed a new dresser. I saw this one at a yard sale for $30.  The only downside? Black with green textured spray paint.  It. Was. AWFUL!  This picture doesn't do it justice since it doesn't even have the drawers to give you the full effect.  Whomever thought this was a good idea was a dummy!


It took a few weeks, but Adrian really did a wonderful job stripping the paint and repainting it this great blue-gray color. I love it! 


5 comments:

  1. Both projects look very nice! We have at least one unfinished project at our house (we started it over a year ago!) but it just needs one more coat of paint. It's amazing sometimes how many coats of paint something needs to look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! They both turned out gorgeous! Chairs are a lot more work than they look like. I started sanding and re-painting mine right before I got pregnant with Olivia. We had one black chair and three red chairs until we moved and just got rid of the whole set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look great, and i am impressed. we don't have a newborn at home and all of my projects like this are either half-done or not-even-started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chairs are amazing. I would never have followed through with that project!! But then again painting and I aren't quite friends, especially if sanding is involved. Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete