My wonderful grandmother passed away a few days ago so I've been thinking a bit about her and things that we used to do, which reminded me of something I did with my kids a few weeks ago.
My grandparents used to own a cabin up in Forest Lakes (northern AZ) and we'd go there every summer to visit and have family reunions. I have so many fond memories of that cabin and the things my grandparents would teach us and do with us and allow us to explore. Every year, though, I remember my grandma putting peanut butter on toast and cutting it up for us to go and strategically place in the front of the cabin to feed the squirrels. I can no longer remember the names she called the squirrels (can my sisters help?) but I remember placing the bread and going back to the cabin to watch and see if they'd get eaten.
We have a lot of squirrels that live in our trees, and my kids really love them. I'll say there are around 6 or 7. One chilly day Peter was concerned that they wouldn't have anything to eat. So we made toast, put peanut butter on them, cut them in small squares, and put them on our windowsill in hopes we'd have a few brave ones come close enough to eat. The kids were GLUED to that window for forever.
Eventually all the bread was eaten, but not while we were watching! And I love having this little memory of my Grandma Nanne.
0 comments:
Post a Comment