I can't decide which one Clark has. Clark's throat is sore (obviously). His medicine tastes disgusting. But I can't believe how long he can refuse taking it. Last night around 12:30 he woke up in pain. Age and I fought him for a good 30 minutes trying to force the medicine--we knew it would help and he knew it was gross and wanted to go back to bed. I'm pretty sure he "won" when spit out any that had touched his tongue and I finally let him go back to bed (knowing he'd be up in an hour in pain again). It's now 9 am and he still hasn't taken any since the night episode. I know it hurts because he winces when he coughs, he refuses any food, and won't talk. (But no talking also means no complaining). So I have to wonder: is his pain tolerance pretty high or is the medicine so bad that he'd choose the pain? Crazy kid.
14 January 2011
High pain tolerance or stubbornness?
I can't decide which one Clark has. Clark's throat is sore (obviously). His medicine tastes disgusting. But I can't believe how long he can refuse taking it. Last night around 12:30 he woke up in pain. Age and I fought him for a good 30 minutes trying to force the medicine--we knew it would help and he knew it was gross and wanted to go back to bed. I'm pretty sure he "won" when spit out any that had touched his tongue and I finally let him go back to bed (knowing he'd be up in an hour in pain again). It's now 9 am and he still hasn't taken any since the night episode. I know it hurts because he winces when he coughs, he refuses any food, and won't talk. (But no talking also means no complaining). So I have to wonder: is his pain tolerance pretty high or is the medicine so bad that he'd choose the pain? Crazy kid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So sad...can they flavor the medicine at the pharmacy? My friend has to do that for her kids because they won't take it otherwise. Personally I don't know how adding flavor to something that already tastes disgusting will help, but who knows. Hope he feels better soon!
ReplyDeleteI remember just how badly my throat hurt when I had my tonsils out. For days I was spitting into a rag instead of swallowing because it was so uncomfortable. And everything tasted horrible. I even tried a spoonful of plain sugar to see how it tasted and thought, "ew!" Maybe the medicine tastes bad, but maybe it's also an issue of swallowing, and of EVERYthing tasting different right now. (I lost 14 lbs that week, by the way - a little scary for a fifth grader.)
ReplyDeleteI wonder if it's not necessarily the taste of the medicine but that fact that he has to actually swallow it. He sounds like Brooklyn. She was the one I had to force even just water down her with a medicine syringe. I feel for you. I know what you're going through. She would not open her mouth for anything and unfortunately she took the longest to heal.
ReplyDeleteIt will get better, I promise! Of course, it may not be for a week or two. Sorry!
If you knew you could get him to drink a little something, like Gatorade, maybe you could put it in that to disguise it. Just a thought.
The thing is that he WILL eat and drink other things. I did disguise it in apple juice today, which worked a bit.
ReplyDeleteMy Lance was so bad when he got his out. I think he was 3 and a half. We fought him as well and gave up. I guess he would rather hurt. He still hates medicine at 11.
ReplyDelete