25 May 2010

Clark's 4th birthday party

Because this baby is due the day before Clark's birthday, I felt like I needed to throw Clark a birthday party to give him the limelight for a bit. He asked for a train party and said he wanted: a train cake, balloons, and presents. Fabulously simple.

We invited some friends and had a great time.

Previous to the party, Adrian glued together some wooden model trains I found at Michaels for $.50 and at the party the kids painted them.
I made a silly "pin the caboose on the train" game and a sort of bean bag toss (with small black bean bags to look like coal) which they threw into a box that we painted and labeled "coal car". It was dumb. And no big deal. And the kids loved it all.

Then we had cake. This is the cake I made.

It was the first time I had ever used fondant. I started making the fondant at around 7:30 that morning and by the time the fondant was all made, colored, and the cake was ready to decorate, it was around 9:10. I hadn't even gotten dressed for the day and the party started at 10. So I threw out my great ideas for a really cute and awesome train cake, and instead used a cookie cutter for the train shape and a film canister for the polka-dots and called it good. And Clark loved it so that's all that mattered.

He got some really fun presents from his friends (a sprinkler, toy cars, a board game, etc.) So he was in high heaven. Thanks to everyone who came and celebrated with us!

3 comments:

  1. What a cute party! I think the cake turned out great! And I love the train track runner down the table. Great idea! You're a creative mom. I didn't realize that Clark & Brooklyn were the same age. She'll be turning 4 next week. We're having a princess ball in honor of the occasion. Hopefully, I'll be able to get pics up on my blog not too long after the party. I haven't been the best at blogging lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great Jodie! Anna & Luke loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. Mother of the Year in fact. Everything you do is so good!

    ReplyDelete