22 May 2010

$100 Cake

Last night there was a fundraiser for the scout troop that I am involved with. The evening consisted of a spaghetti dinner, dessert auction, and karaoke. I spent most of the time in the kitchen, but was able to go out and spend some time with Jodie and the kids (and watch Jodie sing "Material Girl"). We had about 2 dozen desserts donated and most of them were bid through a silent auction. After the allotted time, the 10 desserts with the highest bid were taken to be bid through a live auction. The dessert that I made made it to the top 10 and happened to be the last to be bid on. Most of the live auction desserts went for between $35-$60. The one that went for the most ($105) has a good history and has had the highest bid in years past. I was pretty pleased when my dessert was bid up to $60 and then in the space of about 10 seconds it was up to $90 and then hit $100 before the winning bid won. I know that it being the last dessert helped, but I am pretty proud of myself and it really was a tasty cake (I had some extra batter and frosting so I made little cupcakes). The concept and general recipe can be found here (though I didn't follow it exactly).

Here is the beauty.


11 comments:

  1. I have to admit, that is one tasty looking cake! But $100?! That's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't know what is more amazing, those generous bidders or how incredible that cake looks! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be BEAMING with pride if any food I made was worth 100 dollars to someone! It DOES look awfully good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, huh? And what Adrian failed to mention was that we bought a torte for $36 and because Adrian's cake was the second highest bidder we were awarded with $20 worth of certificates to Romano's Macaroni Grill...so I think we made out pretty well in the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to come to your home for dessert (no need to make me dinner.) That is an awesome looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, craving chocolate like I am right now, I would pay 200 for that cake. Look soooooooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome! Between your cake and Jodie's cake for Clark's birthday, you two are awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MAN - that is so very amazing. THE PLATE the cake is on makes it look worthy of a $100 cake to me. WAY TO GO AGE. You guys totally rock! Who would have thought your cake would bring in that much money! Yipee!! I wonder what you will make ME when I come in June!

    ReplyDelete