22 February 2010

Garden Progress

A couple of weeks ago we started our garden. I have never started a garden this early, but Louisville has a semi-early growing season and I want a good garden this year. We can see visual signs of the broccoli, onions, tomatoes, basil, and dahlias. We are still waiting on the melons and peppers to show themselves. I also went out a tilled the smaller of the raised gardens to get it ready to plant sweet peas some time next week or the week after (yes, you start peas that early). The boys and I had a good evening outside (except for Clark falling out of the tree and going inside to see Mom for a couple of minutes to collect himself).

This year our garden will consist of the following:
Sweet peas
Green beans
Tomatoes
Broccoli
Red bell peppers
Red onions
White onions
Carrots
Leaf lettuce
Zucchini
Melons
Pie pumpkins
Sunflowers
Poppys
Dahlias
Basil

I am pretty stoked.

Edit: The seeds came from Pinetree Garden Seeds. They have good prices and they are definitely a family owned shop with great service.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. *sigh* I'm quite envious. This year we're moving in June - so we're confined to what we can grow in containers and transport with us. It disappoints me a bit.

    What kind of tomatoes are you planting this year, and are you starting those from seed or will you buy starters? I understand they are pretty hard to start from your own seed, but we're trying this year anyway. we figure we can always buy the starter plants if our seeds fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tomatoes are called Rutgers, they use to be used (1940s) for canning and sauces by major companies before hybrids became popular, but I hear that they also make good slicers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried to grow broccoli once. It was really and truly pathetic. We got a huge stalk followed by about one square inch of "leafiness." I can't wait to see how badly you put ours to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Jamie: Our tomatoes seeded way too well! Try it! We're actually having more trouble with our peppers from seed.

    And I'm so jealous that you're doing pumpkins! We've done them in the past, but don't have the space for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesomeness! Those seedlings look stellar. I've started my seedlings as well, though I don't have as many as you guys, but it's still wonderful to see them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love a bit of garden talk. I'm particularly interested in how your onions do. Mine have never grown fat. Just a bunch of green onion look-alikes. Disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our onions in the past have been the same--mostly just green onions, which I use quite often anyways. I guess if you let them grow a long time they will get bulbous, but I'm not that patient apparently...

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO fun! We were FINALLY just barely able to plant our peas when the snow melted this week. Tomatoes have been started, but I'm not that ambitious this year. Last year was pretty pathetic, and though I enriched the soil repeatedly, no guarantees it will be significantly enough improved. I don't want to waste a ton of seed on land that won't grow it! We should have decent strawberries this year though, and we'll be starting our asparagus, which I'm totally thrilled about! Oi, this is long! I guess I should have made my own blog post huh? But I've no pictures. blah.

    ReplyDelete