
I need a few suggestions.
First off, like most people, I am resolving to lost a few pounds this year. I'm slightly obsessed with the 5-10 pounds of extra baby-weight I've got hanging around (yeah, it fluctuates). I think my biggest problem right now is that I have no motivation to exercise.
I KNOW that it's really important, but I would much rather sit at the table and paint with Clark or lay on the floor with Peter than turn on an exercise video. And I'm too wussy to take the boys for a walk in this weather. I would love to leave the house and exercise with friends in the morning before Adrian leaves for work, except that he leaves in the 6:00 hour and my baby doesn't give me enough sleep to feel happy when I wake up earlier than that. I could do it in the evenings, but by the time the boys are finally in bed, I'm exhausted or just want to sit and relax or spend time with Adrian. But I WANT to be better.
So can you help give me a good way to motivate myself? What about a good exercise video--do you have one that you like over another? How and when do you find time to exercise? How do you force yourself to move? I've thought about dancing with Clark when we have music playing, chasing him up and down the stairs, and doing crunches when I'm on the floor. Any other ideas?
Hey jodie-
ReplyDeleteI'm a huge fan on pilates videos. Its hard for me to get motivated too, but I tell myself, I at least have to do the pilates hundred (one exercise that helps your core and is very simple and fast). Once I've done that, I usually will want to finish the work out. Plus, you do it on the floor so you can be down with your kids still. I would recommend looking at the library for one that is about 30 minutes or so.
Ha, I have the exact same dilemma as you, except I only have one kid. I like "Walk Away the Pounds" with Leslie Sansone... It is really easy and you don't have to concentrate much and I can usually get about 15 minutes in before Clara starts hanging on my leg and I can't anymore. I don't know if it has helped me lose any weight though. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI have the motivation problem too. I decided to train for a triathlon which "made" me have to get out there no matter the weather. I run/swim/bike in the evening after the kids are in bed. Now my insurance motivates me...if I exercise 2x a week I get a discount. Find someone or something to motivate you and set a realistic goal (maybe just 2x a week or something). Good luck--I know it's hard!
ReplyDeleteNo tips for you on exercising. I'm feeling the exact same way. I need to exercise but can't bare to be outside for more than a few minutes.
ReplyDeleteFor me (in the past) the last 10 pounds of baby fat comes off when I go off of sugar for about two months. But I'm waiting until I get a little support to do that again. Anyone want to go off sugar for a little while with me? Not a new year's resolution - just a few weeks.???
hey
ReplyDeleteme and my mom are huge on pilates. We do it a couple times a week. It is really relaxing.
-Rachel Parker
I like using Netflix's "watch instantly" videos--they have a good selection of exercise videos that I do during Aaron's morning naptime a few days a week. I also love the local YMCA. I love to exercise, but feel really guilty about using up family time to do it, and I'm never ready to get up earlier in the morning... good luck!
ReplyDeleteHmm... that sugar fast idea is intriguing. Not sure how well I'd do with that, though I know you rock and have done it before, Jodie. We still have loads of sugar lying around and big time sugar habits sticking on from the holidays. It's probably just what I need. Anyone else?
ReplyDeleteI am also having a huge issue with motivation. Lack of sleep makes it pretty hard. My sister always just goes at her chores with gusto and that seems to work well for her... but then she's shoveling snow and chopping wood on a regular basis! I love your idea of including the kids in your "workout" and I think that could be really effective.
I am a highly social creature and highly recommend getting together with some like-minded females. I had a friend who had a workout group at her house and just put on a Billy Blanks cardio kick-boxing session and we'd sweat up her basement. Even see if Age would be up for doing a video with you, so you're not spending more time away from him. Billy is very guy-friendly, though I've also had good success doing yoga or tai-chi with Conan. Though those don't seem to give the aerobic benefits of something more intense. Good luck! And let me know if you and Jamie will be going sugar free! I'm up for giving it a shot...
Hey...I just ordered a Tae Bo DVD from Half.com. Got it for 6 bucks with shipping. I did it for the first time on Saturday and am so excited. I love the kick boxing. It kicked my butt, of course...when they did double time, I just stuck with single time, but I'm excited to have something to do without having to pack Cami up and go somewhere. Eventually I'll be able to do the whole workout with out stopping to catch my breath. That's the goal at least. :)
ReplyDeleteEver tried the wii fit? Kenny lost some weight do some of the more excercise-y stuff on their, but I get distracted by the balance games. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteFor me, it's totally a matter of having others involved - a standing appointment. Start up a group: play group/exercise. Just find a couple of other ladies with the same problem. Good luck. It's been a while since I've gotten off my behind too. I so very much miss our stroller brigade!
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest a wii fit as well, but I know how you feel about game consoles. Maybe it would be super fun just like Karaoke Revolutions. I don't remember, were you a fan of DDR? I'm thinking not, but if you were that could be fun.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I really don't have anything to add here, but you have my full support in whatever you choose to do.
I bought one called Walk Strong. It is by Leslie Sansome. Her stuff is in Costco now, or it is available on Amazon.com. It's a walking video combined with muscle workouts. The one I have is 30 minutes long and is great.
ReplyDeleteI've already prepared myself for this to be a week of no sugar. I am starting tomorrow. I can have sugar on the weekend, but none during this week. I'm a weekly goal-setter as of late. I can't even bare to think about doing it for a month again...but a week, definitely doable. Jamie--can you start tomorrow? Anyone else want to try it?
ReplyDeleteTomorrow is grocery day and I'm buying a lot of fruits and veggies because I feel overrun with junk. I was so proud of myself when after I made a huge dessert for company and only a little got eaten, I used my sister's trick of dousing it with dish soap and so I didn't feel tempted to pick at it over the week! :)
As for exercising, Adrian already had mentioned that he would do it with me, if it would help my motivation. I'm not sure if exercising with him would be helpful or just embarrassing (I don't usually love doing aerobics in front of anyone else). I do think I'm going to try pilates on top of a more aerobic work out (well, I'd like to at least).
Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks everyone!
Here's my suggestion. Our local mall (remember University Mall, Jodie?) doesn't open until 10 am. The interior mall portion, however, opens at like 7 am even though all the stores are closed. You wouldn't believe all the walkers who go early, with their kids in strollers, and do the circut of the mall for an hour. I see groups of two or three moms who walk with their kids.
ReplyDeleteI also see bigger groups who trade off. A few moms will watch the kids play in the "children's play area" complete with slide and fake dinosaur bones, while the rest of the moms speedwalk. It's warm, it's fun, and the kids get to play so they think it's a treat to reward them for being good in the stroller. It'll all depend on how your kids do in the stroller, I guess.
And that's all I have to say about that.
that's something to consider, mynamyn...
ReplyDeleteI got a pilates video from the library a while back that had aerobics as part of the routine. It was like 45 minutes long and pretty fun. I miss being able to go outside too.
ReplyDeleteI like your idea of having weekends "off" on a sugar fast. It makes what you eat then more rewarding and not guilt inducing. I have been choosing a "free day" usually Saturday, that I can eat whatever I want. It works great and it is fun. Save the sweet recipes you want to try for then... all that stuff.
I noticed DDR mentioned, and I have actually found that to be a really fun "work out" to do with Mike. It definitely gets your heart rate up.
Good luck!
we have a "running song" that we listen to and run around crazy-ly through the house. it's really fun. also love to put on wacky music and dance dance dance!! the kids enjoy it too-- they need the exercise as much as i do!
ReplyDeletewe love to run around the house as a family. we have a "running song" that is an instant trigger for the kids to start running. we laugh and love it and get super sweaty! we also love to dance to crazy music, another way to get exercise! and my kids need it just as much as i do!
ReplyDeleteoops, i posted twice. let's make it three! (there was some issue with my password, so i thought i had to redo it....)
ReplyDeleteHi Jodie. It's so nice to see you blog and see that your are doing great. you have a beautiful family!
ReplyDeleteI understand you situation very well. I don't know your schedule but I think that maybe you could start with 15-30 min of cardio 3 times a week. I would recommend running around your block or something like that, maybe you can leave your kids with their dad for a little bit, and if it's cold just dress warm and have some of your favorite music, or run up and down the stair for at least 15 min if you don't want to go outside. Pilates sounds good too, but you need something that keeps your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes.
Watching the biggest looser or reading some of the fitness and health magazines get me motivated.
I don't know of an exercise video since I don't really like them. I prefer to get out or go to the gym.
I try to not focus on my weight (it can be hard) but on all the health benefits I get from it. That way I don't get frustrated with the scale.
I did an internship at an echo lab monitoring exercise stress tests for people with heart problems, and a sick heart is not fun at all. Usually it can be prevented with exercise and healthy eating, but you probably already know that :)
well, I think I've already written to much :) but good luck.
Love Genoveva
Exercising more is one of my 2009 goals as well. Here are my three thoughts on the subject:
ReplyDeleteI've had a little more success this year since when I get to the end of my goal time (20 min), I stop, no matter what. That keeps me from a)pushing myself beyond what I'm ready for and b) discouraging me from doing it again the next day (or every other day).
As for videos, I like checking them out from the library so I'm not doing the same thing all the time.
Exercise adds up, especially cardiovascular exercise, so take 2 min after you wake up to do sit ups and push ups. Then 2 min right before lunch to do jumping jacks, squats, chase the kids, etc. Do 10 min right after you put the kids down for a nap. Just set your timer, and when it goes off, stop, and get back to your day. I found this really helps give me a boost during my late afternoon lull.
I know this is is just me, but until you're getting full nights sleep don't stress. Your body is exhausted. Try to eat healthy more than anything :) I know I'm a lazy person but hey if I'm tired, I'm tired---don't push it! Take a nap instead!
ReplyDeleteGREAT advice, everyone! I watched The Biggest Loser last night (I love that show!) and loved the little tips the trainers gave before the commercial breaks (like sing whie you exercise and it gives your inner body a work out while forcing you to breathe better, etc.). Anyways, I also remember them saying once that if you do jumping jacks during commercial breaks you can lose somewhere up to like 300 calories. So I tried to exercise during the commercials. :)
ReplyDeleteI've put on a music and just danced crazily one day for about 15 minutes and it was fun. Once I start, it isn't so bad...it's the talking myself into actually doing it that's so rough. I've also reserved a few videos from the library so hopefully I'll become more motivated.
Thanks again!!