19 November 2008

sewing machine issues

I'm busy, okay? :) I just can't ever seem to find the time to blog. I have too many projects that I'm working on for Christmas. Oh yeah and 99% of them involve my sewing machine...which has seen better days.

(this is not my machine...though it's probably a lot better than mine is)

Is there a sewing machine expert out there? My machine has been having issues for a while now, but never this bad. This is what happens as I am sewing:
  • it often skips stitches
  • Every few minutes the top thread breaks and I have to re-thread the machine
  • it gives a crooked stitch after every 10th stitch or so (at first I just thought I had an unsteady hand but i have since discovered it is definitely the machine)
It is SO aggrivating! I've tried adjusting the tension (which also has issues), re-threading the entire machine, changing to a larger/smaller needle, but none of it does any good. Does anyone know where I can go to get my machine serviced? I have a Brother machine, but there isn't a Brother service store within 100 miles of Louisville (so says their website). Is there somewhere else I can go? A new machine has been on our "saving up to buy" list...but until then I've got to make this one last as long as possible AND still get my Christmas presents sewn. Help?

13 comments:

  1. Check with Joanns. I know they service machines and since they often sell Brothers, they might be able to service it. And just my two cents, I'd save up for a good Bernina. Little on the pricey side so the saving might take a little longer but I Tell you what, it is totally worth it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was more proficient at sewing so I could help you! I actually just got the machine you pictured for my birthday. I was worried (at first when I was reading) that it was troubling you. I haven't touched mine. I'm a little afraid of it since I'm so used to my mom's old machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Tyra, a Bernina is my dream machine...though I'd like a new machine some time this century. Or maybe that can be my 50-year-anniversary gift! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it sounds like your machine might be having the same problem one of mine did a few years ago...it's the tension of the bobbin reel that was my problem.

    Read online or figure out how to adjust the teensy screw on the side of the bobbin case. You should be able to hold the thread coming out of the case and have the case dangle but also drop intermittently (see...find something online, it's much clearer).

    I was having the breaking top thread issue and when a sewing machine guy showed me how to check that reel, it fixed the problem.

    hmmmm, maybe that's not helpful at all...I'm off to see if I can find some tutorial online that might be more clear...

    xoxo
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come borrow my machine while you get yours serviced. The countdown is on till Christmas. Seriously. Take me up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a vacuum store in your town? I know it sounds weird, but sometimes they do sewing machine repairs, even if they don't sell sewing machines. Also, I found a bunch of leaked Black Friday ads online (gottadeal.com) and several stores are having excellent deals on sewing machines, probably not Berninas though. I would also definitely check the bobbin tension with the little screw. Have you cleaned out all the lint recently - I usually wait too long to clean my machine, that can cause the breaking thread, but I don't know about skipped stitches. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make sure the bobbin loader is in the right position ;) I still laugh about that day.

    Seeing how I had to go to you to fix my machine, I can give no advice.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only know where to go in B-town, but it definitely sounds like it needs to be oiled and serviced. Sorry! I know it's frustrating. The machine I grew up on started doing that stuff and the frustration surely took a few years off my life! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS) I wouldn't trust the website. I'd go through the phone book and call everyone, because I can't imagine that most places wouldn't service brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! I'm going to play with the bobbin tension and try new needles again. And then if that doesn't help, I'm going to find SOMEWHERE (our JoAnn's doesn't service machines) to take it. In the meantime I was offered a machine from a friend and I'm going to take her up on it for the holidays!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jodi- bring it with you at Thanksgiving. I used to service all of them when I was the floor manager at House of Fab in Provo -- I have fixed both of mine many many times.
    PS. the bobbin is very likely the problem -- the feeder clip is easily bent. Also your cam that drives the needle shaft may be slightly damaged -- hemming jeans lately?

    ReplyDelete
  13. No jeans, but I HAVE been sewing a pretty thick fabrics lately. I will definitely bring it for you to look at, Eric! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete