Any ideas for a cheap (like under $10), homemade costume for a 2-year-old who doesn't care about Halloween, doesn't have any favorite character from a TV show/movie, and probably will only wear his costume for about 15 minutes or for as long as I will continue to bribe him with candy?
This is my best idea so far.
Old Navy had some costumes on sale for $9.99... They had cute animals.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking about using fabric scraps to make capes--fairies for the girls, bugs or superheros for the boys. Easy to put on, easy to take off...
ReplyDeleteWell, I don't know about homemade, but we got Makayla a duck costume on Craigslist for $7. It looks brand new!
ReplyDeleteI have a Chef's hat and jacket and I don't mind zipping it through the mail. :) All you would have to do is make the bottoms, as I am pretty sure Clark wouldn't want pink cherries. But I have been wrong before...
ReplyDeleteMy favorite costume is still my brothers from last year. He dressed his 2 year old boy up as a homeless person. All it took was a coat, a hat, and a cardboard sign around his neck that said, "will work for candy" :) You gotta love Scott!
ReplyDeleteI have a little skeleton costume you are welcome to have. I want to get rid of it, and if you want it, it's yours.
ReplyDeleteOne year I was a bee. I wore a black trash bag with yellow electrical tape on it for stripes. I think I had some of those cheap plastic headband antennae things too. I just wore black under the trash bag. I think I had some wings, too, cut out of paper or something. It was supposed to be ghetto, but it actually turned out pretty well.
ReplyDeleteA street with cars on it. Dress him in black with taped dotted line down the middle and cars all over. What is he into? Do you have a Once Upon a Child nearby? Good luck. I say you have 1 more year before he TELLS you what he's being.
ReplyDeleteI have a fireman raincoat and hat you could borrow... just come dig through our dress up stuff, i'm sure you could find something, if you want... Ben just wants to be a cowboy... surprise.
ReplyDeleteHey, go look on familyfun.com ... there are a ton of good ideas for homemade costumes on there! I personally thought "smarty pants"... smarties candy taped all over the kids pants was inventive, probably wouldn't last too long though with my kids! Jen
ReplyDeleteI agree with MMCD... cherish these years when they're so flexible! Mine not only "know" what they want to be, they insist on something different every other day! Arrgh!
ReplyDeleteSuper easy costumes we've done in the past, particularly for kids who don't like costumes in general: Cat costume where you take a black hoodie, cut some black ears out of construction paper and tack them on top, cut a leg off some old pantyhose and stuff, then pin it on their black sweat bottoms. You can do a mouse the same way for their sibling, only dressed in gray or brown or something. Just use lipstick and eyeliner to draw on a pink nose and whiskers.
We've also done a lumberjack thing with flannel plaid shirt, suspenders, and "stubble" out of (yup, you guessed it) eyeliner.
A scarecrow would be easy and cheap, and festive. Just a plaid shirt, over-alls or jeans, twine, straw, and face paint. post whatever you end up doing.
ReplyDeletesimilar to the scarecrow... a cowboy.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to be a fly-
ReplyDeleteBlack pants,
Black long sleeved shirt
headband with the halves of 2 styro balls glued to it
two extra 'legs' (black stuffed knee-high pantyhose) safety pinned to shirt
wings made of poster paper.
Jen
Ok Jodie- I found 2 costumes that seem fun. The website below is a way cute idea...
ReplyDeletehttp://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11537
The other idea might be a better costume for you or Adrian though. Get a big box from a local store (Furniture store maybe?) and use paint or colored paper to make it into a rubic's cube. Cut a circle from the top for you head and leave the bottom open for you legs, two arm holes on the side. FUN!
Man! You are all so creative. Now I just have to choose one and go with it...
ReplyDelete