Alright, I know we are not the only parents who have had this problem. So now I am advice searching (like usual).
I have not started potty training Clark, yet. I don't really mind the diapers and he doesn't really communicate when he needs a diaper change so I honestly don't think he's ready yet. But I'm not sure if this problem indicates otherwise.
Clark has pooped in the bathtub THREE times in the past 2 weeks. ??!?!?! What on earth? He hadn't done that since he was a newborn and even then it was only once or twice--total. Uh, what am I doing wrong here? We talk about not pooping in the bathtub, only in his diaper or in the toilet (we have a potty seat that sits on the toilet and I'll occasionally set him on it to get him used to the idea, but he's never actually gone to the bathroom in the toilet) and he knows it's not okay (when it happens he starts saying "uh-oh, uh-oh") and yet it still happens. Is there something I'm missing? Do you think I need to start trying to potty-train him? Would that even make a difference? What have you done in this situation?? Comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.
I say it will come and go and has nothing to do with potty training. Both Makenzie and Annie had a couple weeks in the middle of nowhere where they pooped in the bathtub for a while and then just stopped. Try giving him a bath and a different time, just doing a quick rinse off so he doesn't have time, or waiting until just after he goes in his diaper. I wouldn't even mess with potty training until after the baby. Too much!
ReplyDeleteHi Jodie! I'm excited to hear baby news one of these days!! We had a time when Lydia pooped in the tub a lot. That is my all time LEAST favorite mess to clean up!! YUCK. I don't think it has anything to do with potty training. I just think that if they need to go around that time, the tub encourages it and it happens in the tub. I don't think they can help it. Lydia was always very 'regular' and if I bathed her in the morning before she had a chance to 'go', then she had a good chance of doing it in the tub. But if I bathed her at a different time or if she had already gone that morning then it was fine. So maybe Clark is 'regular' also and it happens to coincide with bathtime. I agree with the other comment that you may have to change the time of baths. Isn't motherhood a crazy, wild ride sometimes??
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad its not just my kids! Good luck--I don't really have any great solutions. Don't potty train until he's ready--it really won't work well until he can be independent.
ReplyDeleteI haven't entered potty training rhelm yet, but I do have the pooping issue off and on for a little while. the warm water I think encourages it. I let haylie play for way too long in the tub I think SO if she hasn't done her business I try to get her in and our pretty quickly and back into a diaper.
ReplyDeleteIt really is not a fun mess... especially when there are bath toys in there too. I feel bad you having to deal with it at 9 months pregnant. I will pray you little man comes like 5 minutes ago :o)
Oh good. I'm glad the consensus is that it's not a potty-training issue. I really didn't want to have to deal with that, yet. I am willing to change bathtime, though, so thanks for that suggestion as well!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad my child isn't the only one who has done this. :)
Sorry, I'm a little slow on checking your blog, apparently, but I agree with the general consensus. My kids have all definitely done it. Though I have to say, cleaning poop out of underwear is definitely grosser than cleaning out a tub, in my opinion. Generally it is a timing issue.
ReplyDeleteGood luck, Jodie!
Ok, I have to disagree a little. I don't think it's a timing thing because we always had our baths at the same time and the poop came out of no where and then it just stopped again. Still it's worth a try changing bath time. but mostly, I think that they start to get experimental with their poo, just figuring out what it's all about, what it feels like when they need to, when and where it's ok, things like that. Around the same time, Chloe started taking off her diaper in bed, putting her hand down there, etc. So nasty! From what I've hard from all of my sisters and from what i've experienced, this is prep time for potty training. he's not ready yet, but he's getting there, getting curious about what it's all about. i do feel for you having to deal with this 9 mo. pregnant! it is the nastiest mess!! but i think you just have to get through it and keep encouraging experimentation with the potty.
ReplyDeleteIf I were you I wouldn't even think about potty-training yet. Too much transition, and he's young and it will probably take forever. (but that's pretty specific advice to me!)
ReplyDeleteI think the bath just makes everything cozy in their bodies, and relaxing helps it all ease out. It'll pass (pun intended!)
I have actually never heard of this. I guess when you're a parent you get to see it all. Kids are interesting creatures! Good Luck. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree that it's not time to potty train. I'd say that it's a timing issue. Wait until after he's had a dirty diaper before you bathe him. This may mean bathing him earlier or later than usual... which I know is a big YIKES to schedules, so you'll have to choose. Lily was doing this when we switched her to the big bathtub, so I decided to wait until after the poo had come out and was cleaned up before bathing her. Didn't want to take my chances.
ReplyDeleteHey Jodie, just thought I'd get my two cents in since my Alex is still in pull-ups and he's over 3yrs old. He goes pee in the toilet but poop in his diaper. His peds doc keeps saying that he will poop in the toilet when he's ready. I agree with Carla in that, Clark us just exploring his boundaries and body and places, etc. He may be ready soon since he does let you know it's happening. As for the pooping in the bath, not an issue for Alex, but Nik always had accidents while taking a bath and then he just stopped. So good luck and hope it stops soon. ;)
ReplyDelete