05 August 2008

The baby shower

Actually the baby shower and cops were two separate events that were only partially related.

On Friday some girls on my ward threw me a baby shower--which was SO KIND since I know very few people in the ward. So the shower was a getting-to-know-you kind of party as well. There was delicious food and a great turn out (like 20 people! half of which had never met me before!). I am extremely grateful to the girls who threw it because I got some cute gifts and got to meet and get to know some other really fun girls. I (and 3 other girls) got a ride with one of the party planners so we were one of the last to leave.

The house where the party is at is on a very narrow street--not conducive to a lot of people parking on it. As we were leaving, there was a car parked in such a way that the mini-van we were in couldn't make it through (thanks to a mailbox on the other side). **As a side note, we noticed that the car (who belonged to a girl at the party) was dented and wondered what had happened, but didn't think much about it** Once we realized we'd need to turn around, the driver drove up a nearby driveway only to bottom out on the way down because it was so steep. (We scraped the ground pretty badly). Four of us girls got out to try and lighten the load, but it didn't help. After a while we got turned around and went on our way. About 5 minutes later we got a phone call from the hostess. Turns out the car was hit that night and her neighbors heard us scrape the ground, saw us get out of the car, and watched us leave. They assumed we had hit the car, got out to survey the damage, and ran. So they called the cops on us. *sigh* We returned to "the scene of the crime", the driver talked with the cop (who was a jerk!), he looked at the car, matched her story, and we were free to go. It was a little more involved, but that was the most of it. I just really felt bad for the girl whose car it was, especially since it was new and really nice.

I can't speak for anyone else, but overall I had a good night...cops and all.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Now that is quite the story. Though I have to admit I'm a little disapointed the cops weren't called to break up a bunch of women at a wild baby shower. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did the fact that you're 9 months pregnant have any bearing on them realizing you had nothing to do with it and letting you go? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, Angie...that would have been a much better story. We were also kind of hoping he'd look in the van and see the empty plastic martini glasses that were used and jump to some conclusion that we were drinking and partying all that...but alas.

    And no, Jolena. The cop didn't even glance at me. :)

    ReplyDelete