Last week we were at Adam's 2-month check-up. The doctor and I were examining Adam, Peter was reading a book and Claire was climbing on the doctor's stool. Then she fell and hit her face on a metal chair leg. Then there was blood everywhere.
She had bitten her tongue so badly. I can't describe to you what it looked like. It was gross. Luckily the doctor was there and helped me stay sane (though I would say she was sort of freaking out about it more than I was even). After a call to the ER doctor asking how bad the cut would have to be to get it stitched up (they only really consider stitching if it was cut completely through all layers and would heal forked--which luckily it wasn't) we stayed and waited until everyone was calmed down and the bleeding was mostly stopped.
After spending way longer in the office than originally planned, and going home with a diaper bag full of gauze to keep the bleeding at bay, we came home and the poor girl was miserable. She basically didn't eat or drink anything that day until about dinner time. She wouldn't drink water, eat a popsicle, or anything. She even refused liquid tylenol because it hurt so badly.
The next day, however, she began eating regular foods again, though I am not sure how. Every time I asked her to stick out her tongue so I could see how it was doing made my stomach flip-flop. Seriously it made me queasy to look at. She showed Clark that first day and he freaked out and told her not to show him anymore because it made him sick.
| I believe this was the day after it happened |
![]() |
| Seriously I can only look at this picture for a second or two before thinking too much about it and how it just flopped around like that. Ick!! |

Oh my gosh! I don't get squeamish early but.... yikes! Fortunately mouth owies generally heal quickly.
ReplyDeleteYikes!! Poor girl! Thankfully they do heal quickly. But sheesh, you must feel like a zoo keeper many days with all that going on!
ReplyDeleteAnd you should have seen it the day before--even more bloody and gross. *shivers*
ReplyDeleteWow. You poor mama! I bit my tongue nearly clean off when I was two (they definitely stitched that one!) and although I clearly don't remember a thing, I have often thought about my poor mother and how horrible that must have been for her! I hope that you aren't too traumatized. You're wonderwoman, so I'm sure you just took it all in stride.
ReplyDeleteI still have an awesome scar on my tongue, by the way :)
Poor Claire!
ReplyDeleteACK!!! I know you warned me, but that's intense! THankfully the mouth is an amazing healer. Geez...that sweet girl.
ReplyDeleteYeah. It looks a lot like Oliver's lip cut. My stomach turns just thinking about that thing. Thank heavens mouth wounds heal quickly.
ReplyDeleteOh my that is bad. I hope it healed quick?
ReplyDeleteMy kids love the swiveling, rolling doctor's stool too. Maybe I can show them these pictures to keep them from playing on it :) Glad she is feeling better!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how gory that is, even a day later. She'll be glad you got pictures to document it - that wound is worth a bit of sympathy for sure!
ReplyDelete