The other day we were at the park and a little autistic boy was there with his therapist. They had a rice bucket and let my boys play in it to find hidden treasures. Clark loved it so much that he has been asking to do it again almost every day since. So we did.

I laid a sheet on the ground and filled a (lego) tub about half full of rice and let them have a great time. They poured, scooped, hid (and found) treasures, buried their toes, etc.


It was a lot of fun with minimal mess...until I put it away. Apparently I didn't put the lid on tight enough and this is what ensued.

It was amazing how that rice ended up in every corner of the living room and in all the crevices of the couch (click on it to enlarge the picture and see the rice everywhere!). I'm pretty sure my vacuum vacuumed up at least 6 cups of rice, but at least they had fun, right?
My mom would do this same thing with our food storage wheat. I LOVED it! Your boys will remember that activity forever.
ReplyDelete