Peter and I spent a while taking off the paper and sorting colors (we're learning!). Then using empty baby food jars, we melted them in a pan of boiling water.
Using a towel, I took them out and poured them into a star candy mold (that I got at JoAnn's for $1). They worked better than I had even hoped! They dried, hardened, and slipped right out of the mold. Star crayons! So fun.
I thought I could reuse the baby food jars, but as you can see, the color is there to stay. I only had 3 jars, so as soon as I acquire a few more I will make more colors.
Love the idea - but admittedly I have thrown away all of our crayons (and markers). I'm stuck on colored pencils because they are easy to sharpen and easy to clean up. But this idea makes me think I might save up crayons if we start to accumulate them again.
ReplyDeleteSoo cool! What a great idea!
ReplyDelete