27 January 2011

A shout-out to my "Wednesday Sisters"


For book club this month we read the book "The Wednesday Sisters" by Meg Waite Clayton. It's basically a book about 5 women who meet each other at the park and become good friends and continue to meet every Wednesday. Some pursue dreams of writing and they all lend support and love through the trials each has to overcome (infertility, cancer, infidelity, etc.). The book was good. I really enjoyed it because I felt like I was able to relate so much. Hence the reason for this post.

It really made me think of my Bloomington days. Adrian was in grad school. We lived in a complex with a lot of members of our ward whose husbands were also in school. I became really good friends with 5 girls in particular and we eventually got together on a weekly basis. We called it "Girl's Night Out" which really was just an opportunity to get together at one person's house in the evening for a few hours to chat without the kiddos. I really loved these ladies. We started going on morning walks together. We called it the "Stroller Brigade" because each of us had a stroller (some with doubles!) plus a few kids on bikes as well. We started dinner groups where we'd get together with the husbands on occasion. We also supported each other through our trials of infertility, a stillborn, etc. We also met at the park.

I don't think I'll ever really have another opportunity to have the same kind of relationship with others as I did with them. The close proximity of where we lived really played a big part of our friendship. But graduation and jobs have sent us all over the states (Florida, Hawaii, Michigan, Utah, North Carolina, and Kentucky!). So Carla, Hope, Jen, Molly, and Cindy, thanks for those great days. I sure miss them! And thanks for being such great friends when I needed them most.

This picture was our last "Girl's Night" all together and some of us may have shed a tear or two. So ladies, sorry to post the picture I promised I'd never share with anyone. Except, I'm not really. :) Miss you!

5 comments:

  1. Awe!! Thanks for making me cry a little, sheesh! I was just thinking yesterday of how I missed bloomington. I was wondering why life is so much harder here despite the ease of winter and proximity to family and the beach. It's absolutely because I miss that support system! I didn't know how rare of a treat that was to have so many people so close that i could depend so deeply on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute girls! It was fun to see a picture of you all together. Crazy that everyone has now moved on to different parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jodie! I remember seeing you girls with your strollers, bikes and toddlers coming around the corner in front of my house. Thank goodness for girl time! I'll have to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss those days too! It seems like people are now too busy to get together so many times each week to walk, talk and just be there for each other. I often think of Bloomington and the great friends I made there. We really had a good thing going! Thanks for sharing the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh you made me cry. I so miss those days. I could really use a girls night out. Okay so in like fifty years when we actually get a job, pay off loans, and are kidless we'll all have to meet at a resort or something and retake this picture....maybe I won't be in my PJ's!! I miss my girls!

    ReplyDelete