09 February 2010

Snow Day!

Boy will I forever be grateful to Adrian for today. It has snowed once or twice in the past week and Clark has been begging me to play in it. I don't like snow. I don't own snow gear. He couldn't beg me enough to get me to oblige. But today it snowed a LOT (in my opinion). Adrian worked from home and asked Clark at breakfast if he wanted to go outside. Boy was he excited!

So, like I said, we don't really own snow gear. We have snow pants and boots that fit Peter, but nothing in Clark's size. Here's where Adrian's genius and years of snow experience came into play.

Clark wore: pajamas, semi-waterproof pants, jeans, a long sleeved shirt, a pair of socks, plastic bags over his feet, and another pair of socks, a scarf, a coat, a hat, a pair of knit gloves and my mittens, and his every-day shoes.


Peter wore: fleece-lined pants, pajama top, a sweater, a snow bib, a hat, a coat, 3 pairs of knit gloves, 2 pairs of socks, and snow boots (a little too small).
I stayed inside to make hot chocolate and hot oatmeal and wondered (with Peter's non-waterproof gloves, and Clark's non-waterproof pants) who was going to get wet and want to come in first. (Who would you guess??)


Peter couldn't really walk. He fell down a lot. Cried for Adrian to carry him from place to place, but had a blast.


This is how I saw Clark most of the time. He was lying and rolling all over our yard. He kept saying he was making angels, though he never actually make any.

At one point, I went outside and saw Adrian rolling this enormous snowball across our yard. Clark was rolling in the snow on the other side of the yard and Peter was crying for Adrian to come and get him so I had to kindly remind Adrian that he was out there to play with the boys.

So he did this.
Eventually all three of them made this enormously awesome snowman, complete with carrot nose and a rusty paint can hat.

They were out there for ONE. SOLID. HOUR. So who did you guess would be the first one to want to come in?? If I remember correctly, it was Adrian. We had to coerce the boys to come inside with the hot chocolate. When we undressed them I was amazed and relieved that both boys' bottom-most layers were completely dry. I'd say this was one successful snow day. And I'm glad I didn't have to participate. :)

11 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I bought Hudson snow pants and a snow suit from a second hand store and have boots from a friend. We have yet to play in the snow. Maybe this post will inspire me. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome snowman! And one whole hour?! That's gotta be a world record!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be the most awesome snowman I've seen in a long long time! Nice work, Adrian! And hey...making hot chocolate is hard work! Give yourself some credit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a lot like our make shift snow clothes! Aren't dads the best. Jeff is waaaaay funner than I am when it comes to what Gavin thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some GENIUS makeshift snowgear and one INCREDIBLE snowman. Love it! I'll always wish for snow... because we'll never move anywhere near it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at Peter makes me laugh and think of the kid on A Christmas Story... "I can't get up! I can't get up!". Too funny! Although it must be dreadful for you to have to live and drive in all that white stuff, it sure does make me a little jealous that we don't EVER get it here. My kids would LOVE to play in it! And actually, I think it might be fun to play in for a little while also. I guess I'll just have to plan a day trip to Flagstaff. BTW, the snowman ROCKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never even seen a snowman that big! How do you get the snow to do that?!?! WOW! Go Age!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh fun fun fun. Someday we're going to have a yard to play in after it snows. And it's going to be awesome. :) But for now, I'm glad I have an excuse to stay inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like so much fun. Can you believe we have NO snow here in Utah right now? Just dead grass. You should ask Age if he remembers the GIANT snowman we made in front of Hinkley Hall. That thing was like 15 feet tall. The boys were climbing on each other's shoulders to get the head on. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made me laugh. :) Loved it. And i'm glad i'm not the only one who prefers hot chocolate to snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT A FABULOUS DAD!!! Well - the snowman is a d o r a b l e - but it took a super dad to build it with his sons. I VOTE FOR ADRIAN!!! (for anything!!!)

    ReplyDelete