14 December 2009

Gingerbread houses: a tutorial :)

I hosted a playgroup at my house last week and we decorated gingerbread houses. I had a lot of fun, and everyone who came had good things to say, so I think it was a hit. I assembled houses the night before thanks to this awesome technique a friend of mine (My Many Coloured Days) shared with me. She posted this (almost exact) tutorial on her blog...but I know she likes to keep things private so I wasn't sure if she'd appreciate me linking to her blog. So this is me using HER tutorial to create my own, using my pictures. (I can link to your blog, if you'd like MMCD!) Then all who came brought a bag of decorating candy and we let the kids decorate and eat themselves sick! It was great!

First, break squares of graham crackers--6 per house. You will probably need to buy more graham crackers than you think you need since not all the crackers break nicely along that line. Believe me.

Next, stick some sugar in a pot over medium heat (I think I used around a cup--which was more than enough). Then wait. As far as I'm aware (in my one-time experience) this part takes the longest. You just wait, and stir, and wait, until the sugar heats up and starts clumping. It took mine about 10 minutes before it did anything.

These are the clumps I was talking about. The sugar is starting to melt and stick to itself (hence the clumping). At this point you need to completely focus on this project because it goes VERY QUICKLY after this.
Posted by Picasa
After 2 minutes it looked like this
And it quickly turned into this. I think this is where I turned down the heat and started assembling houses. And I am not an expert, by any means, on the best way to assemble. I tried a bunch of different ways--one at a time, two at a time, dipping one cracker opposite ends, etc. All I have to say is that you've got to go fast because the sugar dries quickly! Oh yeah, and BE CAREFUL. I burned the tips of my first two fingers on both hands (with blisters to prove it) thanks to that sugar--ouch!
Seriously, minutes later the sugar was already looking like this: really dark. But it doesn't matter, the houses get covered by frosting and candy anyways.
If your sugar starts to harden in the pan, turn up the heat a little bit and it'll melt again. After you're done, let the pan completely cool then soak it in water. The sugar dissolves really easily (in my experience).


These are the assembled houses. The sugar dried hard and made decorating so much easier (no leaning walls or having to wait for the frosting to dry!). It was perfect for our room full of toddlers.

Thank you SO MUCH, My Many Coloured Days--your tutorial was wonderful and our houses a success!

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love that they go up fast and they look sturdy, which is not often the case when using frosting. I bet the boys LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. We are making gingerbread houses Friday night and I might have to use this method to assemble instead of royal icing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I got your comment and I'm SO HAPPY YOU TRIED THE FUDGE. So happy.

    Here are my thoughts: it must not have been cooked quite long enough. When it sets up, it isn't as stiff as the marshmallow fudge, but it does get stiff. However, when I mailed that fudge-y care package to my mom, I had cut it into little fudge chunks and by the time my mom got it, she said it had all melded together again. So it may just be a softer fudge. Or I didn't make it quite right, which is much more plausible.

    Anyway, props for making a really tricky fudge. I'm so glad it turned out-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I might actually try gingerbread houses this year...I've been too scared to try for al ong time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw this!!! Love it Jodie! May the magic of gingerbread sugar/graham cracker houses be passed on forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea...iknow it's past the season but we never did gingerbread houses and this looks fun...we're going to try it

    ReplyDelete
  7. another idea i got from ben's teacher this year was to get some small milk cartons (like the ones we used to get in our school lunches) and just use frosting to stick the graham crackers to the side of the cartons. they made the perfect little gingerbread houses with very little work. =)

    ReplyDelete